Part of The Weedverse by Kudzuhaiku, The Gift Of Gab is a bridging story between Princess Twilight Sparkle's School For Fantastic Foals and Princess Twilight Sparkle's School For Fantastic Foals: Winter Break, in which Sumac and Vinyl work on a project together to get Vinyl a voice using illusion magic.
This story contains examples of:
- Continuity Nod: Pebble mentions that she'll be getting a sister for Hearth's Warming, a reference to Megara's arrival in When Consequences Come Home.
- Heroic BSoD: The events at the end of Princess Twilight Sparkle's School For Fantastic Foals lead to Discord turning himself into a pillow and refusing to leave Fluttershy's couch. The situation hasn't changed in the interval between the stories, despite efforts from both Fluttershy and Sumac.
- The Mole: The extent of the damage caused by the changeling replacing Moondancer is described in more detail, sabotaging the defenses and using illusions to hide it being only one part of the plan.
- Sharing a Body: Sumac accidentally transplants his consciousness into Vinyl while exploring the magical connection between him and her while under the effects of Zap Apple Tincture. It doesn't last long, as the Zap Apple essence wears off, but it gives him an opportunity to hear her actual voice.
- Voice Changeling: Using illusion magic, Vinyl is able to flawlessly imitate several other characters. Creating a unique voice, her intent, is much harder.
- The Voiceless: Vinyl is trying to fix this about herself by constructing an illusory voice.
- Voice of the Legion: While powered up by Sumac, Vinyl's constructed voice sounds horrific.