Most people seem to think that developing a doujutsu is a wondrous, unspeakably lucky occurrence. Considering that she now has to deal with an ability she has no idea how to use, family drama, fashion crises, and the world's most rude and vulgar doctor, on top of getting to know her new genin team just after graduation...needless to say, Sakura begs to differ.
Mostly a strange but well-written fanfiction by Shana the short.
The story itself demonstrates what would realistically happen if Sakura had mysteriously awaken with a new dojustu. Can be found here . As a result of the new dojustu, Sakura eventually joins Kurenai in a newly formed Team Eight which consists of Sakura herself, Kiba and Shino.
This fic contains examples of the following tropes, in addition to those already present in the source material:
- Action Girl: Unlike Canon Sakura grows into one over time and the progress is quite notably well done.
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Occasionally happens. While most of the story is from Sakura's perspective we do get dribbles and bits of pieces from the perspective of other characters such as Shino, Kurenai and Asuma.
- Booby Trap: Team Eight does this once at the Jonin bar. Most of the Jonins and other Shinobi realize there's a harmless, booby trap but are unable to find it and thus keep setting it off. In reality, Sakura is testing her new doujutsu (which causes momentary loss of motor control).
- Comically Small Demand: Hinata thinks Sakura is selling Kiba into slavery for knowledge of some seals. Sakura is actually selling the Kiba swords, but admits she'd sell her teammate for a half empty jar of umeboshi.
- Cool Shades: Sakura wears a pair after her larger pupils make her eyes more sensitive to light. Eventually Kiba wears some too so their entire team has a set.
- Break Them by Talking: In the sequel, Sakura does this to Pain.
- Dr. Jerk: Dr. Onimemo is the doujutsu doctor for Konoha and a complete prick. He tells Sakura he calls her Patient 719 because he doubts he'll ever see her again. In reality, he calls her that even after they'll be seeing each other regularly. It's later shown that he calls everyone by either their patient number or, if they're a patient's friend/teammate/family, by a patient number plus an addendum. For example, Sakura's teammate Kiba is 719-c. He's later shown to be considerably ruder to people who don't make appointments outside extenuating circumstances (Sasuke's Sharingan developing further doesn't warrant an immediate visit but Sakura's developing doujutsu causing her pain does).
- Expy: Dr. Onimemo is basically Demon Eyes Kyo mixed with Gregory House.
- Eye Scream: Downplayed but still painfully apparent as Sakura's eyes start to hurt once her dojustu enters the next stage due to her pupil growing larger, thus taking in far more light than she's used to.
- The Greatest Story Never Told: Sakura's team is considered completely average despite having two clan members and a new doujutsu due to them being a sabotage team, and thus not taking visible or well known missions.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Making people trip seems rather lame, but the mechanics behind it are very important. Because it momentarily disrupts a person's chakra (thus tripping or similar), Sakura uses it in the sequel to permanently deactivate Pain's Deva path.
- Irony: Sakura gives up on Sasuke when she learns that their doujutsu are most likely incompatible and would result in horribly crippled children or stillbirths. In the sequel, Sasuke is pursuing Sakura because of her doujutsu.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: After Sakura runs away from home (due to her uncle declaring her a "freak"), Dr. Onimemo lets her stay with him and his girlfriend.
- Loner-Turned-Friend: Shino plays this straight with Team Eight.
- Magical Eye: Sakura develops one a the beginning of the story and it effects the rest of the world around here immensely.
- Mugging the Monster: A random villager throw a can of paint at Sakura's group during a mission, thinking them "fancy shmancy samurai". Sakura compares it to watching a drunk kick a bear.
- Reality Ensues:
- The Hokage tells Sakura that all her letters seen to her penpal will be screen for information. Multiple revision are recommended by the Hokage but as he states as long as there's no sensitive information Sakura will be fine.
- People with different doujutsu breeding does not result in a new more powerful doujutsu. Most of the time, it results in random mutations that range from a slightly different version of one doujutsu to stillbirth.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Sasuke suffers from this due to being Konoha's last Uchiha. This is one of the factors that cause Sakura to stop liking Sasuke altogether.
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: Sakura's team gets hired to sabotage Chuunin taking the Jounin exam by using their bloodlines to trip up the examinees.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Kurenai has a doujutsu that lets her zoom in slightly (1.5x magnification). She admits it's largely only useful for reading fine print.
- Winds of Destiny, Change: Subverted with Sakura's doujutsu. What it actually does is send a burst of chakra into someone's body that results in momentary loss of muscle control when it's ejected from the body. Which results in things like someone randomly tripping or dropping something.
- You Are Number 6: Dr. Onimemo refers to all his patients by their patient number and any of their friends or family as the patient number plus an addendum.