It has been weeks since the defeat of the Dazzlings, and Sunset Shimmer's friendships have only gotten stronger. Whilst finally relaxing in this time of peace, Sunset discovers an old enemy: Sonata Dusk. Strangely alone and apparently homeless, Sonata's luck seems to be at its all time low. Seeing a little of herself in the former siren, Sunset embarks on a mission to help Sonata find friendship.
The story is divided into four multi-chapter arcs — Evening, Morning, Sunrise, and Sunset — and is complete. Two non-canon side-stories, The Threesome and The Nightmare Sonata, came out alongside the final arc (be warned that both are NSFW). A sequel, Return to Equestria: The Rise of Roam, is currently in progress.
The Evening Sonata provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: At the art exhibit, Sunset declares to Sonata that she loves her, but Sonata is angry at Sunset for threatening Aria earlier. Sonata storms off in anger and tears.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Sunset and Sonata. It gets sickeningly cute at times.
- Big Damn Heroes: Human Discord, of all people, near the end of the final arc.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: The chapter "The Drunken Night Sonata", published during the middle of the third arc (though logically taking place after the fourth) and immediately declared non-canon by the author.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Thanks to outside problems, internal struggles, and poor timing, it takes awhile for Sunset and Sonata to be on the same page about their mutual feelings.
- Driven to Suicide:
- When Sunset finds Sonata on the roof of her apartment building, she had no indication of what the siren was doing there. Turns out Sonata was seconds away from jumping off. Sunset is naturally disturbed when she finds out.
- Aria tried to pull off the gangland version of Suicide by Cop, but ended up surviving, much to her annoyance.
- Everyone Can See It: Before the two actually get together, literally all of Sunset's friends think that she and Sonata are already a couple.
- Hidden Depths: Sonata is an excellent artist. Also, Adagio can still sing and Aria is a pretty good writer.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: When Aria tells Sunset that she hates Sonata, and thinks that Sonata would be better off dead, Sunset makes damn sure that Aria never hurts Sonata again.
- Lady and Knight: Played with. Sonata's nickname for Sunset is "Silly Shimmy", but at one point calls her "Sir Shimmy the Silly".
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Both Sunset and Sonata insist there is no attraction. There is.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Sunset gives a rather epic one to Aria when the siren won't let Sonata help or see her in the hospital.