The engagement is a Naruto fanfic written by FlowerPrincess11. The story takes place a few months after The Last and focuses on Naruto and Hinata's engagement.
Naruto asks Hiashi's blessing for Hinata's hand in marriage. He gains approval and quickly asks Hinata to marry him. All is well and good until some political complications form when the Hyuuga clan is at odds on which clan the couple should reside in, making the threat that either Hinata's children must take the cage bird seal or Naruto must join the clan and become a mukuyoshi. Naturally, as Naruto is the last known male of his own clan, such a thing would end the Uzumaki name in their village and that cannot be allowed. Naruto and Hinata, along with Hiashi must hold their ground in this political battle and fight for their freedom and for the fate of their eventual marriage and family together.Meanwhile, the story's villain, a Hyuuga elder named Keisuke desires to make Naruto join the Hyuuga clan by any means necessary in order to fulfill his ambition of making someone with the Hyuuga name become Hokage.
Naruto and Hinata now have to face family, rival suitors, the media and avoid any political scandals as they try to win their case in time for their wedding.
Can be read here.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Naruto's fangirls and Hinata's relative Hitomi. Naruto dislikes their advances on him due to his loyalty to Hinata and their annoying personalities.
- Action Girl: Just like cannon, Hinata is a good fighter.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Hinata, who has been extremely stressed out and heartbroken over the length her own clansmen have gone to force her and Naruto into submission, deeply fears that if they lose, not only would Naruto's own clan name end but he would change as well, which is why she briefly calls off their engagement to protect him from that. Thankfully, it didn't last long.
- Chastity Couple: Hinata wants to wait until they wanted to wait until they're married. Naruto respects her wishes.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Naruto's fangirls who still try to make a move on him despite the fact that he's engaged to be married.
- Hinata isn't very clingy but she hates watching her fiancé be hit on by his fangirls, though her anger is directed at the fangirls as she knows Naruto would never cheat on her.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Hinata and Hanabi's mother Hikari died when the girls were very young. She was stated to be a wonderful mother and Hiashi still misses her. She briefly appears in the second to last chapter, after her daughters wedding to tell her husband "Well done".
- Devoted to You: Hinata would do anything for her beloved Naruto even call off their engagement in order to protect him from her clan's greed and agendas.
- Naruto is also extremely faithful to his fiancé and does not hesitate to reject the advances of other woman His fan girl Akane and Hinata's relative Hitomi are prime examples.
- Fangirl: Naruto has several of them, including Hitomi, Ai, Akane and Kaede.
- Loving a Shadow: One chapter has Hinata, after being harassed by Akane, bluntly point out that the other girl doesn't know Naruto at all, that she only likes him for his fame as the hero of the war and her perceived image of him, that she has no idea what Naruto is truly like inside.
- Marry for Love: Naruto and Hinata's engagement is out of love solely. Hiashi has no problem with it but some of the Hyuuga elders still want to reap some benefits out of the marriage anyway.
- Official Couple: Naruto and Hinata.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Hiashi's marriage to his late wife Hikari was this. His father had chosen his bride for political reasons but he still ended up falling in with his chosen bride after getting to know her.
- Naruto and Hinata's engagement inverts this. They are in love and the marriage is their own idea but it doesn't stop some of the more pompous members of the Hyuuga clan from trying to take advantage of it like it was actually arranged.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Hiashi is this in this story. It's been made clear that he truly cares for the well fair of his clan and he is desperate to protect his daughter without reopening old wounds between the clans main and branch house.
- Kakashi, who is the 6th hokage, tries to actively help Naruto out with legal options without violating the village policies.
- Shipper on Deck: With the exception of Naruto's fangirls Akane, Kaede and Ai, and Hitomi, everyone is highly supportive of Naruto and Hinata getting married. Even their rivals in the Hyuuga clan want them to get married, as long as it's on their terms.
- Shipper with an Agenda: Keisuke, the one who's behind all the political drama in the first place, does want Naruto and Hinata to get married. His reason is that he wants to force Naruto to join the Hyuuga clan through marriage, since he knows that Naruto will likely become Hokage one day and he wants someone in his clan gain that title. As if that wasn't selfish enough, he's doing it more for himself rather than for the benefit of the clan, since he, himself, had tried to become Hokage but failed and now he's just trying to find a way to live vicariously through Naruto.
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: Hitomi is one of Hinata's relatives and is constantly trying to steal Naruto away from her. Her infatuation with him stems solely for the fact that Naruto is a famous hero and the best candidate for becoming the next Hokage.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Hinata loves Naruto, not for his power or fame, but because his kindness and determination always inspired her to keep moving forward. An admiration that grew into a real, genuine love.
- The Atoner: Hiashi is this. In the cannon, he was a borderline abusive father to Hinata and disinherited her when she seemed weaker than her sister. Here, he is truly ashamed and guilty for his past behavior and spends the entire fic trying to make up for it by helping his daughter with her wedding.
- Spoiled Brat: Hyuuga Hitomi is a very bratty, spoiled young woman who has her sights on Naruto. Akane certainly believes Hinata is this but we all know that she is wrong.
- They Do: At the end of the story, after weeks of uncertainty and political conflict, Naruto and Hinata finally marry and eventually have their first child Boruto.
- The Maiden Name Debate: The entire conflict in this story is about Naruto and Hinata and which clan they will reside, which would require one of them to change their last name. Hinata is more than willing to join Naruto's clan and take his name, a wish her father and sister support. However, Keisuke tries to force them into joining the clan by making Naruto a mukuyoshi, an act which would make Naruto change his last name to Hyuuga and be force to learn the clan's traditions.
- In real life, such a thing is still common practice in Japan, especially for women that come from high ranking families and have no available male heir.