I'm not sure if I should be amused by all this or horrified at the thought of what I had a hand in creating....
My God, What Have I Done?"
The Emiya Clan is a series of collaborative forums posts made by members of the The Mechanics of In Flight, a forum set up by author Gabriel Blessing for the purpose of discussing his works The Hill of Swords and In Flight.
The madness began in the forums "TFF Omakes" thread. Although the thread was mostly devoted to humorous outtakes, eventually a few people began inserting a few romantic snippets which included Miya, Saber, and Rin (the latter two once they had "returned"). GB himself wrote his (confirmed) non-canon Good End for the story.
Then one day, user Silver_Sun17 wrote a prompt that suggested Kazehana bringing Aoko Aozaki to Izumo House... which resulted in a short snippet that had both Aoko and Touko both waking up drunk in Shirou's bed, demanding that he "take responsibility." (Alternate version with additional content.)
At the most recent count, the Clan currently numbers roughly 24 wives, including Sekirei, Heroic Spirits, Magi, and at least one personification of God.There are also at least 29 children.
We just say Zelretch planned everything.
Many of the forum posts have been collected in the FF.net community, In Flight Omakes for easier reading.
As of March 19th, 2012, the chronicler of the Emiya Clan, Benbladesman, finished his arduously worked on index of all relevant stories on the forums up until that date. It is here. It is sorted by thread and author and very long, but is very helpful in getting those who want to jump in oriented without trawling trough several threads worth of posts.
On January 11th, 2013, the Emiya Clan attempted a reboot in order to make it easier for new people to put stories after several of their more prominent contributors moved on to other things . However, the reboot failed, and now EC has officially closed down.
See Fate/stay night and Sekirei for the tropes of those respective universes. And see In Flight for the tropes from Gabriel Blessing's original work. See the recap page for tropes of some of the individual stories.
The Emiya Clan in general contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: More of a meta-example. The authors constantly mix up the names of Riko, Eiko, Reiko, and Keiko, with the last two being the most common mistakes.
- Adults Are Useless: Not only averted, but completely stomped flat. Even though EC is all about the kids, every single one of the parents retains their badassery if they had it, or have taken a level in badass at some point in the Clan's past. And not a single one of the parents will hesitate for a moment to help their children.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Has spawned two fics depicting alternate Fifth Holy Grail Wars. One has Shiro's kids replace all the canon Servants. The other has Miya from this timeline being summoned as Servant Saber under Sakura Matou, Karasuba from an alternate timeline where she was one of Shirou's Seikirei as Servant Assassin under Souichirou, Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière, the Duchess of Emptiness, as Servant Caster under Shirou himself, Tabitha as Servant Rider under Luvia, and Arturia as Berserker under Illya.
- Bad Ass Family: Something of a given.
- Berserk Button: Several of them. Pushing them will bring the wrath of the entire Clan on you. Check the spoiler for Adults Are Useless above.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Chiyo
- Big Fancy House
- Butt-Monkey: Lancer, duh.
- Children Are Innocent: Subverted with most of the children.
- Code Emergency: A lot of these, due to the family being Crazy-Prepared. Ranging from the simple ("A kid is in trouble") to the specific ("Karin let a three-story mecha loose").
- Cosmic Plaything: The Root and Zelretch enjoy doing this to the Clan members.
- The Clan: Also a given.
- Crack Fic: How it all began...
- Crossover Ship: Over half the children being Sekirei + Zelretch seems to result in this.
- Decoy Leader: Shirou now controls MBI, but as far as the world knows it's his mother who is still in control of the company.
- The Dreaded: After an incident with a trans-dimensional entity (Lily) and the blue-haired red-eyed clone teenager who came with it (Rei), the Emiya Clan sees her and the other Ree as this. Mentioning one or using their distinctive vocal greeting is bound to trigger a Mass "Oh, Crap!" moment from anybody in hearing distance."Heee~ey."
- Eldritch Location: The basement. Going down there is equivalent to an epic dungeon crawler.
- Elemental Powers: Many of the Half-Sekirei children, plus a few others.
- Father I Want to Marry My Sister: Karin to Keiko. Shirou is not amused.
- Friend to All Children: One of the Clan's collective Berserk Buttons.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Primate Murder aka. Primmy
- Generation Xerox: Attempts were made to subvert this, although it still happened.
- Happily Married: ...and how!
- Harem Hero: Most of the Clan members are either Harem Heroes or parts of a Harem Hero's harem.
- Has Two Mommies: Aside from the obvious everybody having over two dozen mothers, certain children claim two specific women as their mothers: Saber/Arturia and Rin for Arika, Musubi and Yume for Shinta, Caster/Medea and Saber/Arturia for Ulf. Aleksi also calls Rin and Luvia "Mommy"...in Finnish.
- In the Blood
- Interspecies Romance: Given that half the kids are aliens, one is a vampire, and another is the daughter of the divine spirit of humanity, kind of a given.
- Knight Templar Parent: Lorelei mostly. Some of the others have shades of this as well.
- Like Father, Like Son: Shirou's heroism got passed down to some of the kids as well. It got diluted along the way in some cases, but still.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: It goes without saying....
- Massive Numbered Siblings
- Masquerade: Partially due to the Mega Crossover nature, the Clan has a lot of enemies. As a result, they try to keep a low profile. They don't always succeed.
- Mega Crossover: Aside from the obvious FSN/Sekirei, the "main" ones seem to be Mahou Sensei Negima!, Lyrical Nanoha, Ranma ½ , Rosario + Vampire, Valkyria Chronicles, Blood+, and Haruhi Suzumiya. Which doesn't include all the various one-shots and side-mentions.Full list
- Notably, Kyon (Haruhi) and Chisame (Negima) have had their backstories altered to where they are members of the Clan.
- Word of God from the author of Devil's Wings storyline states that the corpse of Lelouch vi Britannia will play a role in the story's future.
- The Christmas Party takes this Up to Eleven.
- The Medic: Chiho and Chiyo
- More Dakka: Keiko, obviously, but a great deal of Clan members utilize this with their magic as well.
- The Movie Buff: Gil takes Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings very seriously. He quotes the latter throughout the Christmas party, in narmtastic ways.
- Oh Crap, There Are Fanfics of Us!: Not a fanfic, but Haru has copies of the Ranma ½ manga, which Ryoga is the first to learn about.
- Only Sane Man: Kyon and Chisame normally fulfill this role. During the Christmas Party, Haru and Gilgamesh join them to form the Fellowship of the Sane.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Haru is one-quarter Dead Apostle.
- Polyamory: Not just Shirou Emiya, but Shiki Nanaya/Tohno is also said to be in a similar relationship with his harem.
- Running Gag: Reiko/Eiko's sneezes and Kiri's attempts to cook.
- Kaien continually Tempting Fate
- Touma has an unhealthy desire to invite his siblings into a threesome with him and his girlfriend/wife.
- He goes a bit too far when he tries springing this on his teacher, Mana. She quickly corrects this mistake by kicking him straight into a wall.
- Kiri and Artemis acting Like an Old Married Couple. Amounts to no end of the level of Ship Tease.
- Shirou getting into heated rivalries with other alpha male characters. Shiki Tohno, Nagi Springfield, etc...
- Erika and Sakuya being the best of friends and then fighting to the death the very next minute.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: DA!Haru's whole motivation was to prevent a future where the entire Clan splintered apart into factional infighting and took the world down with it. Once he succeeds, he more or less disappears except for popping up now and then to annoy his younger self.
- Subverted for Eiko, who simply wanted to take a vacation from the grim future she had been living in. However once she had traveled back, her interactions with her old family and younger self had changed her future so much she could not easily return... not that she minded very much.
- Shared Universe: Due to being a multiple author work.
- Shotgun Wedding: Shirou originally. Happens to Haru and Moka during the Christmas party climax.
- Shout-Out: Part of the Mega Crossover of the Chirstmas Party, Servant Shirou, Dante and Rock are watching The Christmas Bowl
- Small Girl, Big Gun: Keiko in spades.
- Strength Equals Worthiness: Homura and Tsukiumi have doubts that martial arts have a place when their family already has superhuman abilities, so they challenge Ranma and Ryoga to a fight. The latter two lose, but just barely.
- Super Cop: Motoko Kusanagi takes this role in Shin Tokyo. She doesn't like it very much, since she has basically been handed the job of fixing whatever the EC decides to screw up in their spare time, but she preforms it admirably nonetheless.
- Super Weight: Has a rather complex one due to all the characters.
- Superpowerful Genetics
- Super Power Lottery: Some of the kids got their parents' skills equally, some got very watered-down versions, some hit the jackpot.
- Team Pet: Primate Murder, complete with Sleep-Mode Size.
- Thicker Than Water
- Token Evil Teammate: Mana
- The Tokyo Fireball: Happens regularly. Most notably during the Christmas incident.
- Unwanted Harem: Not only the original Clan's origins, but some of the children also have managed to scrape this together because of their own crossovers.
- Wacky Racing: Emiya Clan Grand Prix. With the three organisers being AU!Illya, Zelretch and Araya Souren, you KNOW where this is going.
- Weirdness Magnet
- World of Badass: If someone isn't badass, they're either unimportant or connected to someone who is.
For the tropes of the individual stories, see the recap page.