The Children of ARES is an OC-centered fic set in the universe of RWBY by Snowy Fox 417. It details the lives of four young former renegades named Anthony Riggs, Rohan McDougal, Elisha Gould and Seth McCarty as they go through their introduction and initiation into Beacon Academy. Although the paths of the original characters follow the canon story line, there are noticeable changes to original events as well as an overall Darker and Edgier feel to it.
The story includes four "trailers" for the respective characters.
The Children of ARES contains examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: In the "E for Elisha" trailer, Elisha and Ruby effortlessly deprive a mass of wolves of limbs and heads.
- Action Girl: Samara Whisker in "S for Seth", though we don't get too see much of it.
- Avengers, Assemble!: The four main boys come from differing backgrounds.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Ruby and Elisha do this when first confronted with the Beowolves in "E for Elisha".
- Bad-Guy Bar: In "S for Seth", the titular character enters one in his first appearance.
- Berserk Button: On a comical note, Seth hates being referred to as a homosexual or have his sexuality questioned, for that matter. On a darker note, he really doesn't like it when someone probes at his past. Likewise, Anthony doesn't like being called a "Neanderthal".
- Bloodless Carnage: Averted. There is plenty of blood to go around in comparison to the canon universe.
- Butt-Monkey: Due to his Jerkass behavior, Seth tends to be on the receiving end of karma's wrath.
- Call-Back: Anthony's mention of "grass pizza" comes back a few times during the Beacon initiation. Yang threatens to turn Seth into it before beating him up after he calls her a prostitute, and Anthony bets Weiss that she would turn into one as she's falling from the Nevermore.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Something already implied in the canon universe becomes heavily known in the "A for Anthony" trailer. As the battle between the White Fang train robbers and the defending mercenaries come to a close, there is a message from Mr. Schnee that sends them off with a mocking farewell before the train derails. Only Anthony and Jesse survive, while the rest of the train occupants are dead or escape.
- Dark Is Not Evil: ARES is known for wearing rather dark colors and their personalities are certainly far from saints, but they're also far from being evil.
- Description Porn: Ruby and Elisha eagerly describe the qualities of each other's weapons in "E for Elisha".
- Face Palm: Elisha does this in "The March to Hell" after Seth expresses attraction towards Nora... in his own way.
- Fantastic Racism: In "S for Seth", The snake Faunus Basil is tricked into believing he is going to be let go after Seth interrogates him... only for Seth to shoot him in the knee and then the head. The reason? Seth hates Faunus.
- Force and Finesse: Elisha and Seth seem to be gearing towards this.
- Freudian Excuse: The reasoning for Seth's nasty behavior, at least during his stay at Beacon, is revealed when Elisha goads him. If what said is true, then Samara had suddenly disappeared or died in a mission with Seth. The Jerkass attitude he takes is a front to look tough, make himself forget and subdue a very low self-esteem.
- Groin Attack: A favorite hobby of Seth's.