The Beast That I Am by OrionPax09 features Shinobu accidentally exposed to one of Kaolla's experiments. Experiments that just happen to involve gamma radiation. And it isn't long before the other girls of the Hinata discover that they really don't like Shinobu when she's angry. But Keitaro might wind up learning to love it...
- Above the Influence: Jade is very interested in becoming intimate with Keitaro, but he refuses to do so before Shinobu is ready.
- Amazonian Beauty: Shinobu becomes one as a result of Kaolla's experiments.
- Berserk Button: Harming or threatening Keitaro near Shinobu is a good way to bring out Jade.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Naru, Kaolla, and Motoko play this role as Keitaros tormentors and the ones responsible for Shinobus unstable state.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Jade just cannot stop calling everyone (except Keitaro) bitches.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Jade's punishments for Koalla, Motoko and Naru the first time she appears all qualify. Motoko has her sword broken and is left in the turtle exhibit at the local zoo. Koalla is strapped to a crane's electromagnet at the scrapyard, forcing her to see a bunch of scrapped machines. Naru is stripped naked and tied up with telephone wires above an intersection.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Naru, Kaolla, and Motoko versus one very angry gamma-mutated girl. The Hinata Harpies never even knew what hit them.
- Deconstruction Crossover: Not only is the tenants behaviour Played for Drama, but Shinobus new power is played up as something potentially dangerous instead of completely good.
- Does Not Like Men: Even more than Motoko, Naru hates men, including refusing to let several police officers untie her from where Jade left her, accusing all of them of being filthy perverts.
- The Dog Bites Back: When Shinobu becomes Jade, she gives a brutal beat-down to the people who have been abusing Keitaro while she watched.
- Enemy Within: Jade is disgusted with Shinobu's meekness and will demand she be allowed to takeover, declaring Shinobu too weak to do what has to be done.
- Game Changer: Shinobu's alter-ego Jade completely changes the status quo. Not only does Keitaro now have someone both willing and very able to protect him from the actions of the other tenants at Hinata Inn, but Haruka makes it clear that Keitaro either has to stop being an Extreme Doormat and put the girls in their place or evict them. While Keitaro worries about negating all the work he's done so far, Haruka explains that if he doesn't change with the status quo, things will only escalate and likely result in Jade maiming and/or killing one of the others in her rage.
- Hulking Out: Thanks to Shinobu being doused in gamma-goo in Kaolla's lab, she winds up doing this every time she's angry, hurt, or stressed.
- I've Come Too Far: One of Keitaros biggest problems is that he can't even consider changing the status quo by say evicting the troublesome tenants or applying to a different school, because he feels that doing so would invalidate the years of effort he's already invested. It doesn't occur to him that the status quo is him getting beaten for any slight mistake, including others (the story starts with Naru entering Pervert Revenge Mode because she walked in on him changing in his own room), and that since Shinobu can now become She-Hulk, things will change regardless of what he wants.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Jade subjects the Hinata Harpies to a brutal beat down and total humiliation after they push her too far.
- New Ability Addiction: Haruka lampshades the likelihood that Shinobu will continue transforming any time she gets upset simply because she can.
- Older Alter Ego: Jade serves as this to Shinobu.
- Only Sane Man: Haruka is the only one to realize the status quo seriously has to change. Naru, Koalla, Motoko, and Kitsune are their canon selves, Keitaro is too spineless to think of standing up to anyone despite knowing the consequences, and Shinobu is too tempted to turn back into Jade so she has the power and confidence to do the things she's always dreamed of.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: While discussing Su's desire to up the security at the Hinata Inn (to stop the Ogre if she shows up again), Keitaro tries to dissuade Kitsune by pointing out that eventually Su will turn all of that security on him.Kitsune: But it ain't a big deal when bad stuff happens to you! It's me and the other girls I'm worried about!
Keitaro: Wait... what did you just say Kitsune?
Kitsune: I said it's me and the other girls I'm worried about! It don't matter when bad stuff happens to -! Well, what I mean was that...well, you're indestructible. You and I both know that!
Keitaro: Uh... yeah.
- Reality Ensues: Not only are the city inhabitants aware of the girls of the Hinata Inn and their antics, but the police very much want Keitaro to keep a tighter leash on them to keep them from running around, breaking several laws. Also, after Shinobu's rampage as "a large green ogre", the Hinata Inn is declared a crime scene and the residents can't enter large parts of it until the investigation is over.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Haruka actually cares about Keitaro, and is pissed when she sees the full extent of what trouble the tenants have caused to him, Shinobu, and the city in general. She also helps Shinobu keep her secret for fear that the military might do something to her.
- Shapeshifting Excludes Clothing: Transforming into Jade generally destroys whatever Shinobu was wearing at the time, leaving her scraps of clothing at best.
- Statuesque Stunner: Jade is considerably over six feet tall and drop dead gorgeous.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Jade (Shinobu's Hulk persona) is played like this, though not exactly evil.
- Took a Level in Badass: Shinobu not only goes to investigate a potentially dangerous situation in Keitaros place, but gains a Hulk persona and proceeds to destroy the girls who did this to them.
- Unprovoked Pervert Payback: Naru barges into Keitaro's room and sees him with his shirt open. She proceeds to punch him out of the inn, even though he has every right to be half-dressed in his own room, and SHE was the one who entered without knocking.