"The Age of Gargoyles" is a Shared Fanfic Universe based on the Disney animated series Gargoyles, co-created by Greg Weisman. The universe is co-written by FF.net authors Dr. Algae, Gryphinwyrm7, GregX, and Masterdramon. It also features specially commissioned art from such talented fan-artists such as D.Taina and Kordyne.
The Age of Gargoyles is notable for its commitment to hewing as closely as possible the established canon of the Gargoyles Universe and what Greg Weisman has so far revealed of his Master Plan while at the same trying to expand the already vast Gargoyles Universe in new and unexpected ways.
Stories written so far have starred The Manhattan Clan, The Knights of New Camelot, The Redemption Squad, a Time Dancing Brooklyn (along with various companions), the 2198 Resistance, and even the unlikely duo of Rory Dugan and Molly from the episode The Hound of Ulster.Like its source material, The Age of Gargoyles draws heavily from real world history and mythology. Already, it has featured such illustrious figures as Tamora, Queen of the Goths, Demigod Maui, the Queen Maeve of Connacht and Prince Vlad Dracula.
Provides Examples Of:
- Broad Strokes: The ficverse has alluded to the events of the Gargoyles/Spectacular Spider-man/Young Justice crossover radio plays written by Greg Weisman, though avoiding any explicit mention of the Marvel or DC heroes.
- Character Development: All the characters appear to grow and change, as their canon counterparts do.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Xanatos, of course. But also Thailog, Dominique Destine, for some reason they love this.
- Cult: The Slaves of Mab, a sect of mortal fanatics led by Queen Maeve and dedicated to restoring Mab to the throne of Avalon
- Deadpan Snarker: Brooklyn, Nashville, and Rory.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Mary Bishop gets mutated into a gargoyle-mutate named Ishtar and attempts to do the same to lots and lots of other humans. She also desperately wants to meet and please Demona. When she and Demona do finally meet, Demona kicks her onto her stomach and rips her wings right off, tears out her tail, rips her horns right off her skull, and is briefly tempted to rip her glowing eyes out too, but tosses her off a building instead to slowly bleed out and watch the world fade as she dies. Demona does because Ishtar did nothing other than offend Demona's gargoyle supremacist ideology by merely existing.
- Five-Man Band
- The Manhattan Clan.
- The Hero: Goliath
- The Lancer: Brooklyn (originally Hudson)
- The Mentor: Hudson (who was originally the leader of the clan before he passed it onto Goliath and "Mentor" was even his actual title back in the day)
- The Smart Guy: Lexington
- The Big Guy: Broadway
- The Chick: Elisa and later Angela
- Team Pet: Bronx and Fu-Dog.
- Sixth Ranger: Coldstone and Coldfire, as well as Katana, Nashville, Tachi, and Amp.
- The Redemption Squad:
- The Knights of New Camelot
- The Ultra-Pack
- The Manhattan Clan.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Dracula, much like his historical template, is very fond of disposing of his enemies in this manner.
- The Missus and the Ex: Brooklyn, Katana, and Tamora.
- Ms Fan Service: Demona. While very much in character, she has had more gratuitous nude scenes than any other character except for Ishtar who went naked all the time after her mutation.
- My Girl Is a Slut: It has been very heavily implied that Xanatos and Fox are swingers.
- Secret Identity: John Castaway is Jon Canmore; Hunter is Robyn Canmore; Cu Chullain is Rory Dugan; Owen is Puck.
- Shared Universe: Its not unheard of for one writers fic to pick up on the very same scene another writers left off on.
- Shout-Out: Often. To Greg Weisman's other works, and anything else that is appropriate for the situation.
- Show Within a Show: As in "Gargoyles," The Pack were once a popular TV show.
- Spiritual Successor: To the sadly defunct Spectacular Gargoyles roleplay on spring.com. All of the writers were major contributors to the old RP and the ficverse does adapt a lot of OCs and concepts from the RPs continuity.
- Tailor-Made Prison: Draculas cell in New Camelots dungeons is hermetically sealed, bathed in artificial sunlight 24/7, and surrounded by a wall of religious symbols from virtually every faith known to man.
- Take That!: The supremacist, violent, PETA-like PUIR was an obvious shot at the cardboard cutout hippie PIT Crew from "The Goliath Chronicles" which has also imbibed its way into many "Gargoyles" fanfics, even those written by TGC haters.
Never the End...