While out looking for a job, Pearl comes across an Octoling in an alley. Against her better judgement, she takes the Octoling, a young woman named Marina, to her home. Pearl had planned on sending back underground the following morning, however she changed her mind after hearing Marina's singing voice. Marina's voice, combined with her own rapping skills, could make a potent musical duo. And thus, that's how Off the Hook started.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Fantastic Racism: Octolings and Inklings have been segregated for the past century. As a result, there's a lot of speciesism between the two. Casual misconceptions and bias are also common, such as when Pearl questions whether an Octoling can even sing.
- Lemon: The story does have two explicit scenes, but they're tagged and are skippable.
- Love Confession: Pearl and Marina confess to one another after Pearl kisses Marina during a performance.
- Origins Episode: The story revolves around how Pearl and Marina became music icons.
- Slash Fic: The story ships together Pearl and Marina.