Steven and the Crystal Gems find they must prevent gem technology from being used to summon a being far more malicious than any Homeworld Gem from its dark prison. Luckily help comes in the form of three teens from Arcadia, and their... strange friends.
The fanfic can be found on Fanfiction.net.
Steven Universe: and the Hunters of Arcadia provides examples of:
- Adaptation Species Change: Jamie the Mailman is revealed to be a changeling spy sent by the Janus Order to gather Intel on all of the magical weirdness in Beach City.
- Bad Is Good and Good Is Bad: Jasper accuses Jamie's moral code as being nothing more than "[parading] around deceit and cravenness like it's a virtue."
- Becoming the Mask: The Beach city changeling, aka Jamie.
- Caught on Tape: The trollhunters go to Beach City to investigate the images of Jamie in his true form posted on Keep Beach City Weird.
- Clarke's Third Law: Inverted. Being able to mentally interface with Jasper's gem using elixlore, Jamie come to the conclusion that it is some form of advance computer, being able to properly communicate with an uncorrupted part of Jasper’s mind.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Jasper, being a soldier with Undying Loyalty to her empire and the Diamonds that govern it, finds Jamie's No Honor Among Thieves abhorrent. Even with the offer to be uncorrupted and the idea of replacing the Diamond Authority as Homeworld's High Queen put on the table, she makes her disgust apparent every chance she gets.
- The Fundamentalist: Jamie silently refers to Jasper as a “fanatic” when she explains who the Diamonds are.
- Hypocritical Humor: When Steven explains to Peridot how parents would want their old, missing child as opposed to just making another one.Peridot: Why are they so attached to this "Baby" if they created it; couldn't they just make another if they really needed to?
Steven: Well, would you replace Pumpkin if he was gone?
Peridot: STEVEN HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!?
- Logical Latecomer: It does not take long for Jim and Claire to realize just how justified their trip to Beach City was when they saw Steven and Connie ride a pink lion that can walk on water leave via portal.
- Mistaken for Aliens: Inverted. Pearl assumes that Blinky is just a normal human (not that one could blame her) and tries protecting him from AAARRRGGHH!!!, assuming that he was just some innocent bystander being chased by a monster. Conversely, Blinky, having no knowledge of Gems, he assumes that she is just a friendly human with a profound knowledge of history.
- Played straight with AAARRRGGHH!!!, who is assumed by the gems to be some kind of corrupted gem monster.
- Obviously Evil: Jamie claimed that it did not take very long for troll kind to figure out that Gunmar was evil."When first broke from the festering, corrupted heartstone, those around him were quick to see the evil in his heart, even amongst his Gumm Gumm bretheren he was considered an abomination."
- Odd Friendship: Blinky and Pearl hit it off rather quickly. The two of them being immortal by nature, they both bond over a mutual knowledge of history, not knowing that both of them have lived history.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Jamie explains to Jasper that Gunmar and the Janus Order’s hold on him is under a Might Makes Right principle and he is merely “[offering] them the same courtesy.”
- Set a Mook to Kill a Mook: Jamie briefly humors the idea of having Gunmar and Yellow Diamond kill each other.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: While his behavior may be partially due to the horrifying magical experiments done on him to turn him into a changeling and the stress of being in the Janus Order, Jamie seems to possess a level of trauma from being nearly abducted by Topaz and Aquamarine.
- Wham Line:Jamie: It was here, in the place now known as Beach City, that [Krullakk] the Unconquered and his tribesmen made their final stand.
- You Can See That, Right?: Jim asks for confirmation from Claire if he did not hallucinate the magical pink lion.Jim: Claire, you saw that ri-
Claire: I have eyes Jim.