Star Wars: Remnants is a Star Wars fanfiction. Serving as a Fan Sequel to The Force Awakens, the story centers around the spy-assassin Naomi Dae. After Rey leaves for Ahch-To, the Resistance council receives word that Kylo Ren has been charged by Supreme Leader Snoke with the protection of the aristocratic Lareina Krad. Behind General Leia Organa's back, Naomi is sent to infiltrate Lady Krad's guard, to figure out why Snoke believes her to be so important. What Naomi discovers, however, eventually tears the very fabric of the Resistance apart.
Remnants provides examples of:
- Acceptable Breaks from Canon: Inevitable, since it was written prior to the release of The Last Jedi. The most glaring example of this is definitely Rey's parentage. Canonically, she was the daughter of random junkies and was sold for alcohol, while this fanfiction has her as a descendant of Palpatine.
- Action Girl: Naomi and Rey. Lareina also proves to be a highly formidable opponent.
- Antagonist Title: Sort of. The First Order is the titular remnant of the Empire.
- Badass Normal: Again, Naomi. No Force powers to speak of, but she's perfectly capable of taking out multiple troopers at once.
- Big Sister Instinct: Lareina displays some shades of this towards Naomi post-HeelFace Turn and her biological sister, Rey. The latter is less than thrilled about it, however.
- Broken Ace: Rey spirals into this midway through the story. She's an Ace Pilot Action Girl with immense Force abilities, but the combined mental strain of being kidnapped and tortured by the First Order, and the discovery that she's the great-granddaughter of Darth Sidious and the sister of the Empire's heiress causes her to fall into a Heroic BSoD, and she refuses the offer of rescue on several occasions. Kylo Ren takes advantage of her both politically and sexually while she's so emotionally vulnerable, and this just destroys her even more.
- Deconstruction Fic: Not the main plot, but the Rey/Kylo subplot deconstructs the abusive implications behind this popular pairing.
- Demoted to Extra: Few of the canon characters make major appearances (though most are mentioned in the passing). Even Rey, the protagonist of the sequel trilogy, only plays a supporting role.
- Grey and Gray Morality: The First Order sports several sympathetic characters such as Lareina, while the Resistance has more moral ambiguity, with the heroine herself being a pragmatic assassin unafraid of getting her hands dirty.
- HeelFace Turn: Lareina.
- Heroic BSoD: Rey absolutely crumbles upon learning about her parentage. In fact, she's broken enough to seek out Kylo Ren for guidance.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Kylo Ren.
- Lady of War: Lareina. She is a stoic, dignified aristocrat who is handy with a blaster and can even wield the Force.
- Meaningful Name: Lareina and Rey mean "the queen" and "king" in Spanish respectively, and they are the great-granddaughters of the Emperor.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Rey's birth name was Reychel Krad.
- Reverse Mole: Naomi. For a while, at least.
- Separated at Birth: Lareina and Rey.
- She-Fu: Naomi's default fighting style. This proves disadvantageous against Ashaiya and Xyros Ren, who are more than capable of matching her agility while still managing to overpower her with brute strength.