The story is Azula-centric and is mainly from her POV. It starts with Zuko and Mai captured by Ozai and ordered to be publically executed. Azula has mixed feelings on this, so she helps Mai and Zuko escape. The next day, however, she reveals to her father where the couple are. Azula's mixed feelings don't go away after the execution occurs. If anything, she feels even worse.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: The story starts with Ozai defeating the Gaang in the final episode.
- Bittersweet Ending: The fic ends with both Azula's death and the end of the 100-year war.
- Child by Rape: In an attempt at continuing his bloodline, Ozai impregnates his daughter Azula.
- Dark Fic: So We'd Both Be Free is essentially a worse case scenario for the source. It starts off with most of the main cast either dead or soon-to-be-dead and only get worse from there. The story holds no punches with its themes of abuse, rape, suicide, slavery, and death.
- Dead Guy Junior: Azula has her daughter named after her friend Mai.
- Driven to Suicide: Ty Lee drinks a bottle of poison after Ozai reveals that she's to be given to a soldier. She begs Azula to drink some too, but Azula cares too much about her nation and her duties to do so.
- Public Execution: Mai and Zuko have a public hanging. It also doubles as a festival in tribute to the recent win against the Avatar.
- Spiteful Spit: Ty Lee spits at Azula upon reuniting.
- Together in Death:
- Mai and Zuko are publically executed together. To make a defiant statement, they kiss and hold hands during the execution.
- Subverted with Ty Lee and Azula. After drinking poison, Ty Lee tries to get Azula to do so too however Azula refuses.
- Ty Lee mentions about a story of two Starcrossed Lovers, one from the Fire Nation and one from the Earth Kingdom, who killed themselves because they were going to be killed for their relationship.
- What If?: "What if Ozai defeated Aang?"