Nadia is a young woman who has recently died, alongside her pet cat Monique. Before Nadia can be transferred to the afterlife, the chaotic Loki appears to transport her the wrong afterlife. Nadia and her cat Monique are sent to Animal Crossing, an afterlife where animals go before they can ascend into heaven. Nadia is the only human who has been transported to Animal Crossing.
Slice of Heaven by Ysavvryl is an Animal Crossing fanfic that reinterprets the characters as Dead All Along. It's about a woman named Nadia who lives in Verdant with various Funny Animals as her neighbors.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- The Grim Reaper: Rover is the Grim Reaper for animals. He's a friendly Grim Reaper who helps animals enter Animal Crossing.
- Only One Name: Nadia can't remember her surname anymore. Rover doesn't mind because no one uses them in Animal Crossing.
- Outdated Name: Lampshaded when Rover calls Nadia's name "old-fashioned".
- Reincarnation: Reincarnation is the normal cycle for beings, but sometimes particularly good animals break out of the cycle and enter Animal Crossing.
- Species-Specific Afterlife: Animal Crossing is something animals enter when they break the cycle of reincarnation. It's not quite nirvana but it's also not purgatory. It's just a place they live in and grow until they can Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence.
- Starts with Their Funeral: The story starts with the funeral of and her pet cat Monique.
- Supernatural Light: The protagonist mentions at the start that her ghostly form glows.
- Token Human: Animal Crossing is specifically for animals. Nadia is literally the only human in the entirety of Animal Crossing,
- Uplifted Animal: Animals are turned into talking, humanoid Funny Animals in Animal Crossing.