The story picks up right after the chronological end of season 1. Adrien is excited to reveal his true identity, while Marinette is terrified. But Master Fu says they can't afford to be distant any longer. Chat Noir and Ladybug are meant to work in tandem both in and out of uniform, their strength stemming from the bond created between them. Yet, teenagers are sometimes better at dancing blind than running with wide open eyes, even with the steps laid out before them. Steps in the path of an expanding world. Apart, they'll flounder. But together, they might just stand a chance.
Serendipitous Fate contains examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change: After getting the Fox Miraculous, Alya adopts the name Rena Argenté instead of Rena Rouge.
- Beach Episode: Chapter 17, in which most of the class take a trip to a lake outside the city. It culminates in Skinny Dipping between Adrien and Marinette, and Alya finding their clothes on the beach and stealing them.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ladybug and Chat Noir's fight with Volpina and Queen Bee would have been a complete disaster if not for the intervention of Tortue de Fer, followed by the then-unidentified Peacock holder.
- Breather Episode: Again, Chapter 17 (mostly), appropriately titled "Calm Before the Storm".
- Calling the Old Man Out: Adrien does this to Gabriel a few times, regarding him treating him more like an employee than a son and trying to dismiss his heroism as reckless and selfish.
- Co-Dragons: After Hawkmoth obtains the Fox and Bee Miraculouses, he recruits Lila and Chloe to his cause, as Volpina (again) and Queen Bee respectively.
- Create Your Own Villain: Ladybug is responsible for the grudges that Lila and Chloe have her against her, though she did apologise in the former case.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Adrien gets a couple of these:
Marinette: Are you okay? You look like you're thinking about something.
- In the scene where he treats Marinette's wounds at Master Fu's place and starts trying to Think Unsexy Thoughts.
Adrien: Uh Well, just, eh, n-nothing. I'm not thinking about anything. I- I mean, I'm thinking. Just, not about anything important. You know, like, um, fashion things. Uh, my job. New line. Swimwear. Makes me nervous.
Marinette: Oh, o-okay
Adrien: N-not that I'm not focused on you- this! On this! (gestures to her shoulder) Definitely focused on this- you- uh, just, also thinking about model stuff. At the same time
Marinette: Right I didn't know your father designed swimwear.
Adrien: He doesn't- ah- except- Father's in speedos - I MEAN! Father's into- he's not- I'm not thinking about Father's speedos- My father doesn't have any speedos- D-doesn't wear them or design them. I'm not thinking about speedos. Or my father. (double facepalm) This is not working
Marinette: Are you okay?
Adrien: (mutters) Kittens. Think of kittens
Adrien: NOT kittens! Not alive kittens. (Marinette's brow scrunches in alarm) Not dead kittens! I'm not thinking about dead kittens! I just- sometimes things are dead- because- oh god
Marinette: What's happening right now ?
Adrien: Nothing! Nothing is happening! I gotta go!
Adrien: Go! Go that way. Bathroom. Uh, just gotta go. Right now.
Marinette: Poor kitten. You can't help it, I know that. Though I was a little startled the first time I saw it, I'll admit.
- In the scene where he wakes up erect after spending the night in Marinette's bed, and he soon learns from an amused Marinette that this isn't the first time it's happened there:
Adrien: Just kill me now.
Marinette: Don't say that! We're both victim to mother nature, that's all. No need to be such a baby about it.
Adrien: It doesn't happen only when I'm here. It happens all the time, whether you're here or not. (realises how that sounded) I-I mean, not that- not that you don't cause- It's different! I mean, sometimes it is because of you! But not all the time! Some- sometimes it is. But I don't do anything about it! I don't think about you like that! (realises she's a little offended) I-I mean, I don't think about those things at all! Not about you, anyway. Haha. Wait, no! (Facepalms) I don't think about anyone when it comes to those things! Like, doing things when I'm alo- I don't- Never! That's not- sometimes! Sometimes I do! But never about anyone else other than- But not- Shit. Uh, I do- I do sometimes. But only you! And not often! Oh god! (realises he just admitted to masturbating while thinking about her) It's really not that often! Like, not that I don't think about you a lot- but I have- It's not-
Marinette: Shhh. Just stop talking.
- Door Stopper: Currently over 306,000 words, and only about two thirds complete.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Averted. When Volpina forcefully kisses Adrien, Marinette has the urge to transform into Ladybug and bash her skull in with a rusty hammer.
- Fiction Isn't Fair: Chloe approaches Marinette at school and tries to get her to stay away from Adrien, resorting to threats, insults and finally slapping her in the face, cutting her lip with a fingernail. Marinette responds with a punch in the nose, likewise drawing blood. Marinette gets a week's suspension, Chloe goes unpunished.
- Forceful Kiss: Volpina to Adrien, which traumatises him and enrages Marinette.
- Generation Xerox: Marinette's mother and Adrien's uncle were the previous Ladybug and Cat Noir. This is a source of particular concern for Gabriel, who fears Adrien will end up dead like his uncle.
- Genki Girl: Trixx, to the point that the other kwamis get very nervous when she's prematurely released from the Fox Miraculous in chapter 23.
- Honey Trap: Gender-flipped when Adrien tries to exploit Lila's interest in him to recover the Fox Miraculous without having to fight her. It soon gets out of control and ultimately falls apart when she catches Marinette in his room.
- Jumped at the Call: A villainous example from Lila, who accepts Hawkmoth's offer to get revenge on Ladybug with much more enthusiasm than Chloe.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": All of the Miraculous holders have a massive one in chapter 18 when Nino accidentally calls Alya "Lois", pissing away all of their secret identities.Adrien: Code red! Nino fucked up!
- Never My Fault: Chloe's inability to comprehend that she's responsible for any of the Akumas who have have come after her finally causes Ladybug to snap and tell her that they're not friends and never will be.
- Older Than They Look: Both Gabriel and Sabine are well into their 90s, thanks to the extended lifespan of a Miraculous holder.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Chloe gets two of these:
Chloe: He doesn't need someone like you polluting his good social standing. You and him are on completely different levels.
- The first comes from Marinette, after Chloe tries to threaten her to stay away from Adrien.
Marinette: And I suppose you're on the same level as he is? Please. If there's anyone 'polluting' his social standing, it's you.
Chloe: Hardly. I'm the mayor's daughter the princess of Paris. Everybody adores me. While you're some dirty baker's daughter. Who are you to compare to that?
Marinette: Okay, one, you're not a princess unless it's the spoiled kind. Two, I'm not dirty and neither is my parents' bakery. And three, nobody adores you. You're a huge part of Adrien's problem.
Chloe: Hardly. I'm the only thing protecting him from pathetic fangirls like you. I'm his best friend.
Marinette: Nino is his best friend, Chloe, not you. And he doesn't need 'protecting.' All you've ever done is drive people away from him. The reason he doesn't have very many friends isn't because he's 'above' everyone else. It's because you hang around with him and nobody can stand you.
Chloe: Everybody loves me.
Marinette: Sure, Chloe. Whatever lets you sleep at night.
Chloe: Stay away from him.
Marinette: No. Adrien and I are friends and there's nothing you can do about it.
Chloe: You really think that?
Marinette: Uh, yeah, I do.
Chloe: I could ruin you, Marinette. I could tell him all sorts of things about you, until he'd never want to take a step near you again.
Marinette: Go ahead and try. He won't believe you. Nobody would. Everyone knows you're a liar.
Chloe: He'd believe me. We've known each other since we were kids. He trusts me explicitly.
Marinette: Hardly, Chloe. Tell him whatever you want, he'll never believe you.
Chloe: He will.
Marinette: No, he won't. Just let it go. You can't keep him all to yourselfhe's not some model doll you get to hoard. He's a personsomeone who wants more friends than just you. Not that I blame him you're a pretty terrible friend to have.
Chloe: Excuse me? I'm an awesome friend.
Marinette: No you're not. You're a horrible person, let alone any sort of friend. You're nasty to everyone, you're spoiled, you lie. You're downright cruel, Chloe. Nobody. Likes. You.
Chloe: It's not like it's my fault he went crazy. I'm a victim here too, you know.
- The second comes a few days later after Chloe turns her butler into an akuma (though for once this isn't so much a result of her bullying as it is the victim's misguided sympathy for her, not that Chloe can understand that), who goes on to capture Adrien.
Ladybug: You're never a victim, Chloe.
Chloe: What do you mean? I'm always a victim. I feel like these akumas are constantly coming after me. Thankfully, you're usually there to save me, but-
Ladybug: They come after you, Chloe, because you cause them.
Chloe: Cause them? Doubtful.
Ladybug: Akumas happen because you make people feel bad. You hurt people, so then they get akumatized and go after you.
Chloe: Hurt people? I'm nice to everyone.
Ladybug: No, you're not.
Chloe: How would you know?
Ladybug: Because you've probably caused more akumas than any one person I've encountered. Hawkmoth creates akumas from the negative feelings inside people. That so many people have felt so poorly toward you says a lot about your behavior. I don't save you because I want to, Chloe. I save you because you don't give me any other choice.
Chloe: But We've gotten to be pretty good friends because of it. That's worth it, to me
Ladybug: 'Worth it?' There's nothing worth this, Chloe! Look what's happened! Innocent people are- are as good as dead right now! There's a poor, tortured soul being manipulated! People are in danger! No, that's not 'worth it!'
Chloe: None of that's my fault
Ladybug: Yes, it kind of is! If you were more considerate of other people's needs and feelings, then maybe this would stop happening! But you're not! All you care about is yourself and what you want! What about- What about what Adrien wanted?! Do you think he wanted to be terrorized and chased around?! Hurt and turned into- into nothing?!
Chloe: I didn't do that! The akuma did! It's not my fault!
Ladybug: You caused the akuma, Chloe!
Chloe: I didn't!
Ladybug: Then how did this happen?!
Chloe: I don't know! I didn't do anything! So just stop yelling at me! Why are you being so mean to me ? I thought we were friends
Ladybug: We've never been 'friends,' Chloe. Beyond anyone I've ever met, you cause both Chat Noir and I the most grief. It's our job to help those who Hawkmoth takes advantage of, and you create the perfect situations to give him power. And no matter how many times it happens, you take no responsibility for your actions.
Chloe: I don't-
Ladybug: You do! You hurt people, bully them, and show no remorse for doing so. It's my responsibility to protect people. How could I ever be friends with someone who cares so little for the feelings of others?
Chloe: It's not my fault that-
Ladybug: But you do hurt people. And that's something I can't stand behind. We are not friends, Chloe. And we never will be.
- Sanity Slippage: Chloe's mother suffered from a mental condition the eventually led her to be Driven to Suicide. Chloe herself is displaying all of the same symptoms, but how much of it is Hawk Moth's influence is unknown.
- Save the Villain: Ladybug prevents the Peacock wielder from killing Queen Bee, still viewing her as an Akuma victim.
- Secret Keeper: Gabriel has known about Marinette and Adrien for a while now, Nino accidentally blows their identities to Alya, and the end of chapter 22 indicates that Marinette's parents knew all along as well. In Sabine's case, it's confirmed in chapter 23.
- Sixth Ranger: Nino, after he is given the Turtle Miraculous and becomes Tortue de Fer (Iron Turtle). After the Fox Miraculous is recovered at the end of Part 2, Alya is offered it in chapter 23 and becomes Rena Argenté.
- Something Only They Would Say: Nino blows his secret to Alya by accidentally calling her Lois, leading her to quickly figure out Adrien and Marinette as well.
- Their First Time: Between Marinette and Adrien in Chapter 20.
- Troubled Fetal Position: In the opening chapter, Adrien finds Marinette in this position in Master Fu's bathroom when she's nervous about finding out who he is, though she's not trying to prevent him from recognising her. Adrien tries to bring her out of it by putting an arm around her and telling her that he's not disappointed by who she is.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: When Chloe accepts the offer to become Queen Bee, in her own mind Hawkmoth has convinced her that Ladybug doesn't deserve her power and that she (Chloe) can be a real hero.
- Wham Episode:
- Chapter 18: Alya finds out all of the heroes' secret identities, and Master Fu is killed by Volpina during a hostage situation.
- Chapter 22: Volpina is defeated and the Fox Miraculous is reclaimed and purified, Adrien is poisoned by Queen Bee and only narrowly survives thanks to Marinette, the Peacock wielder is confirmed to be Gabriel, and we also learn that his as-yet-unnamed brother was a previous black cat holder - and that his Ladybug was Sabine Cheng.
- Wham Line:
- "You know... curiosity killed the cat." From Gabriel to Adrien, confirming that he knows his secret.
- "Your earrings. They're quite interesting. I believe I pointed out as much the last time you were here." Gabriel again, to Marinette, confirming that he knows her secret.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Marinette's response to Adrien when she finds out that Gabriel knows his (and, as it now turns out, her) secret, that Adrien knew he knew and said nothing to her. Tikki in turn calls out Marinette for her harsh reaction, during which she dismissed his attempts to apologise.Tikki: Can you really fault him for being afraid? You didn't want to tell him your identity in the first place and Chat's always done everything in his power to please you. He was just afraid he'd disappoint you. And can you really blame him? You just fulfilled every fear he had.
Tikki: He tried to apologize. You know he'd do anything for you risk his very life for you and when he has one slipup, you run away? How is that fair, Marinette?
Marinette: But he ?
Tikki: He made a mistake. You have such high expectations. Of yourself and everyone around you. It makes you strong, determined, and gives you follow through. You're a perfectionist usually only when it comes to yourself. But other people see it. You put a lot of pressure on yourself I knew that the first day you ever became Ladybug and you wanted to give up after only one failure. But now that you're a team, now that you've let him be close to you, Adrien feels that pressure too. You know what his family life is like, Marinette. If there's anything he's afraid of, it's disappointing you. Of doing something wrong and failing you. How could you listen to him admit to his wrongs and then agree with him? Marinette You hurt him so much worse than he hurt you.
Marinette: But ?
Tikki: I'm disappointed in you.
- Happens again when Marinette finds out that Volpina paid a visit to Adrien and he didn't immediately contact her or Nino. Adrien defends himself by pointing out that none of them are ready to confront her yet and that if he had texted Marinette she would have come barreling in and put them both in more danger. Marinette privately admits that he has a point, though she still doesn't support his plan to use Volpina's interest in him to get the Fox necklace away from her. Likewise, Nino calls Adrien out for disregarding Marinette's fears by persisting with his plan, telling him that he's literally hurting her by doing this.