Taking place after his death in his universe, Lelouch is brought back to life by a mysterious voice to make things right in the universe where his childhood friend, Angelise Ikaruga Misurugi, lives.
Second Chances provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass:
- Adaptational Heroism:
- Sylvia is more sympathetic than her anime counterpart. She even pulled a HeelFace Turn in the chapter which took place in Cross Ange episode 10, becoming a hero in her own right.
- There's also Hilda's mother, Mrs. Schlievogt, in the chapter which took place in episode 9. In the anime, she casted Hilda out for no apparent reason other than she's a Norma. Here, she's still the lovable mother Hilda imagined in her flashback; it's just a Jerkass act under Lelouch's orders to give her a reason to keep on fighting instead of going home to her.
- Adaptational Villainy: Julio, due to acting like Embryo.
- Adapted Out: Embryo is absent in the story, but Julio has his characteristics and role.
- The Atoner: Sylvia becomes this after breaking free from the Mana user's programming of hating Norma.
- Composite Character: Julio has Embryo's characteristics and role in this fanfiction.
- Crazy-Prepared: Lelouch planted a Geass command on Momoka that she would immediately break free from any form of Mind Control but would retain physical characteristics of it in case Julio would try to control her.
- Face Death with Dignity: Upon being told that she will have to die by Hilda's hand when she rejected her due to the Geass command that Lelouch placed on her, Mrs. Schlievogt is easily accepting of her death as a necessary sacrifice.
- Good Costume Switch: Upon choosing to fight alongside Lelouch and Ange, Sylvia discards her princess dress and wears the same clothes Ange wore during the fake rescue.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Lelouch is the huge guy, while Sylvia is the tiny girl.
- Little Sister Heroine: Sylvia plays this straight due to her being one of the main protagonists in this fanfic.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sylvia is really regretful of her betrayal towards Ange after Lelouch succeeds in converting her.Sylvia: Angelise... I told her she's not my sister, I blamed her for my paralysis and Mother's death, and I yelled I hate her for all this. I don't know if she could ever forgive me for betraying her and saying those scornful words.
- My Greatest Second Chance: What this fanfic is all about.
- Ninja Maid: Momoka is this, and so does Sayako.
- Power Trio: Lelouch, Ange, and Sylvia fit the trope as they're the main protagonists. They fit multiple molds, such as the Balance, Speed, Strength Trio (Lelouch being the balance, Sylvia being the speed, and Ange being the strength), the Combat, Diplomacy, Stealth (Ange being the combat, Lelouch being the diplomacy, and Sylvia being the stealth), the Nice, Mean, and In-Between (Sylvia's nice, Lelouch's mean, and Ange's in-between), and Two Girls and a Guy (Lelouch is The Hero, Ange is The Lancer, and Sylvia is The Chick).
- Powered Armor: Sylvia wears one that is made from her wheelchair to make her as tall as Lelouch when she's being Zero, even wearing clothes under it.
- Pretend to Be Brainwashed: Momoka gets this kind of mission from Lelouch in chapters 43 and 44 (Cross Ange episode 21), when the Geass command he placed on her activated when Julio attempted to use his mind control ability on her immediately broke her free of it but retaining her Mind-Control Eyes.
- Properly Paranoid: Lelouch uses his Geass on Momoka in chapter 9. If you watched Cross Ange episode 21, then you know why he did it.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Ange is aggressive and tomboyish, while her younger sister, Sylvia is calm and reasonable.
- That Man Is Dead: Sylvia, in terms with becoming Zero to atone for her betrayal towards Ange. She even narrated this in chapter 13.Sylvia: Sylvia Ikaruga Misurugi is dead. She died from the guilt of learning that her older sister is not the monster she imagined, and in her place, is a masked warrior who will atone for her sins named Zero.
- Wham Line:
Sylvia: I made my choice. I won't let my sister's love for me, and Mother's sacrifice for her become like it's for nothing!
- Chapter 11 (Cross Ange episode 10) has it with Sylvia's HeelFace Turn.
- Xanatos Gambit: Lelouch pulled this in chapters 43 and 44 (Cross Ange episode 21). Despite the fact that Chris is able to shot down the Villkiss, there's always the plan where he counted on Julio to use his mind control power on Momoka, given the fact that he already placed a Geass command on her as precaution. He even lampshaded this in his narration.Lelouch: So much for the escape plan, but this is just the opening act.