SEA MONSTER is a Steven Universe fanfic written by codbox set roughly after the end of "Ocean Gem", concerning Steven lamenting about being unable to convince Lapis Lazuli to stay on Earth. However, Lapis appears one night on the shores of the beach near Steven's house, and Steven welcomes her back with open arms. But Steven soon finds out there's far more to Lapis' return than he initially thinks...
This fanfic has the following tropes:
- Brainwashed and Crazy: One way of interpreting what Homeworld did to Lapis. Lapis somehow does the same thing to Amethyst in a later chapter to toy with the Gems.
- Darker and Edgier: The blood Lapis has on her dress is just the tip of the iceberg.
- Downer Ending: Lapis suppresses the...thing in her long enough for the Gems to poof her, bubble her, and send her to the Temple. But while the Gems managed to put an end to her tirade, they still don't know what's wrong with her or what can be done about it, Steven's relationship with Connie has doubtlessly turned sour, and nobody has any idea where the blood on Lapis' dress came from.
- Fate Worse than Death: It ends with Lapis poofed, bubbled, and sent to the temple, but since the...thing controlling her's still inside her, and nobody knows what to do about it, it's likely that Lapis going to be stuck in that bubble for a VERY long time....
- Nothing Is Scarier: The blood on Lapis's dress. It's hinted at by Connie that Lapis either harmed or killed someone, but it's never revealed who said someone is or where they even are. Then there's the case of what exactly Homeworld DID to Lapis.
- Voice of the Legion: Lapis's dialogue whenever it's the thing taking over and speaking for her is written in all caps and in bold font, invoking this.
- Would Hit a Girl: Steven slugs Connie in the face, giving her a bloody, broken nose.