Warning: this fanfiction contains spoilers for Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. As a result, spoilers for the game on this page will be unmarked.
The fic takes place during the second game in the Danganronpa franchise, specifically after the second trial. It opens with Kazuichi seeing a new, vulnerable side of Fuyuhiko as a result of Pekos death, and visiting him alone in the hospital in an attempt to further understand him. From there, the two of them gradually become close friends, and then lovers, over the course of the killing game.
The fanfiction was devised and written with alternate, intersecting character arcs for Fuyuhiko and Kazuichi in mind, and explores the trials and tribulations they undertake in their relationship. Thus, this is a character-driven story where romance does not take centre stage until the later chapters.
Tropes associated with Screams and Sighs:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Kazuichi towards Sonia. Or so he thinks, anyway - he never had a crush on her to begin with, instead desiring to just be friends with her and believing that he is infatuated with her in order to prove his bullies in middle school wrong.
- Central Theme: The true meaning of strength and weakness.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: When he is infected with the Despair Disease, Nagito claims that theyre all in an Alternate Universe where Kazuichi and Fuyuhiko become a couple. He phrases this as though hes fully aware that he is in a Slash Fic.
- Like Brother and Sister: Fuyuhiko and Peko, on the formers side at least. In chapter 13, he tells Akane that he sees Peko as a sister. Akane then lampshades this, saying that she thought there was something more between them.
- Slash Fic: Ultimately, the main plot of this fic revolves around the gradually evolving romantic relationship between Kazuichi and Fuyuhiko.
- Switching P.O.V.: A third-person variant. Odd-numbered chapters are told from Fuyuhikos perspective, whereas even-numbered chapters, plus the prologue, are told from Kazuichis.