Rugrats vs. Vampires is a Crossover Fanfiction between Rugrats and Girl vs. Monster as well as characters from Legends of the Hidden Temple making appearances as Main/Supporting Characters. The fanfic was written on Wattpad by user Rugrats1991, who is also known as Rugrats1992 on Fanfiction.net as well as this very site.
The Fanfiction follows the Rugrats enlisting the help of Skylar Lewis and her friends to help them defeat their enemies, the Fearleaders after they finally have enough of fighting with them.
However, the Fearleaders set a special plan in motion that's sure to finally rid them of the Rugrats as well as to achieve world domination. After learning what's going on, the Rugrats and Girl vs Monster crew have to team up to defeat the Fearleaders and put an end to their monstrous plan.
The fanfic is a miniseries that forms an overarching plot and is set to go for 6 stories. Each story is separate on Wattpad with individual names, but combined on Fanfiction.net with the one official name.
The first story was published on Wattpad on October 6th, 2019 followed by the second and third stories on October 6th and November 8th respectively. It was uploaded on Fanfiction.net on October 27, 2019. The miniseries is currently on hiatus as the writer is in process of making the fourth story, "Enter the Vampirus".
The miniseries consists of Stories (each of them have been named) such as:
- Fear the Day: When the Rugrats finally get sick and tired of having to deal with the Fearleaders, they enlist the help of Skylar Lewis and her friends to help them with their problem. However, the Fearleaders have one more trick up their sleeves guaranteed to ensure their victory over the babies and enslave humanity.
- First Blood: The secret has been revealed, an evil army is rising and is out for blood. The Rugrats and Girl vs Monster crew find themselves in a rather supernatural situation as the Fearleaders unleash their ultimate plan.
- That's Gonna Leave a Mark: When it comes to Vampires, they'll stop at nothing to get their hands on some blood. When it comes to these Vampires, they'll stop at nothing to get their hands on a certain monster hunter's blood.
- Enter the Vampirus: When an old foe of Skylar returns to aid the Fearleaders and Vampires in their latest attempt to capture the monster hunter, it's up to the Rugrats as they journey deep into a mysterious place that no baby, or anyone has ever gone before.
- Bite Club
- Solar Eclipse
Spoilers for the miniseries are now marked! You have been warned
Rugrats vs. Vampires provides examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny: While sometimes the babies have different reactions to Phil's antics, they do enjoy his various shenanigans as well as their own.
- Adults Are Useless: True to Rugrats, the adults are completely oblivious to what the kids are doing.
- However, this is taken Up to Eleven, when the Fearleaders unleash their Vampire Army to kill the babies and their parents don't bat an eyelash.
- Sadie R's Mom doesn't pay much mind to the fact that Skylar and her friends are staying with them, even when Henry and Sadie 2 get bitten by the vampires.
- Alpha Bitch: Myra, despite this taking place after Girl vs Monster, however, she was just brainwashed by the Fearleaders after being bitten.
- Amusing Injuries: The Rugrats act cartoonish compared to the show, they tend to get hurt in various ways with no sustaining injuries.
- As You Know: Characters often have some exposition dumps regarding past events, some of which essentially become Noodle Incidents because of the fact that these events occurred before the miniseries began.
- Baby Language: The babies can talk to each other like in the show, the only difference being that Teenagers can hear and understand them as well, but not the adults.
- Baby Talk: How the kids talk to each other and to Teens. The baby talk is not as dumbed down as the later episodes of the show, as they say some bigger words while sometimes mispronouncing them.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Anyone who was bitten by the vampires, but it was the Fearleaders influencing them with various promises. Averted with Henry.
- Break Them by Talking: Victoria does this to Skylar in That's Gonna Leave a Mark by guilt-tripping her when she refuses her demands.
- Blown Across the Room: Happens to Tommy in First Blood after a bomb goes off on him thanks to Myra questioning why it skipped a number.Myra: I just asked a simple question.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Rugrats characters like the other adults and Carmichael's don't appear.
- Cliffhanger: Some stories will end on a one as a way to build suspense for the next one.
- Continuity Nod: Events from each of the respective franchises are mentioned in someway.
- Dean, a character from Rugrats who only starred in a few episodes of the show makes a return in Fear the Day.
- The characters mention Chloe and Riley, who had starred in a previous crossover with them.
- The Girl vs Monster characters mention the events of the movie at various points.
- In First Blood, Sarah references previous adventures that the Rugrats had went on, such as dealing with a trafficking ring.
- Sadie R mentions the events of her movie/crossover with Rugrats.
- Tommy briefly mentions Angelica's bad singing in Fear the Day.
- Curse Cut Short: A few characters have gotten close to saying swear words before getting cut off. Justified because there are babies running around. It starts happening in First Blood.Myra: Oh shi—(Blast!)
- Damsel in Distress: Skylar technically is this because the Vampires are after her to get her blood.
- Darker and Edgier: Stories starting with First Blood get a more serious undertone as it goes on.
- Dark Fic: While it does have its comedic moments and Fear the Day being lighter in tone for the most part, the miniseries overall is notably darker than the show.
- Daywalking Vampire: The vampires can walk around in broad daylight and not be harmed by it.
- Denser and Wackier: The babies are the only ones who act more cartoonish than in the original show. Most notably Phil who is the main source of comic relief.
- Demoted to Extra: Tommy's family only appear for minor roles in Fear the Day and First Blood, oblivious to what's going on. Dil is only mentioned in those two stories as well.
- Determinator: While Tommy has a bit more determination than in the show, the babies as a team have equal determination when it comes to taking down the enemy.
- Free-Range Children: Because the Adults don't pay attention to their kids, the babies are allowed to run freely throughout their hometown, visit Sadie R when she's in school and fight all sorts of evil forces including blood sucking vampires.
- Hair-Trigger Explosive: One of the running gags of the fanfiction's continuity, is that if anyone mentions a C4 and Phil hasn't gotten a chance to use it, it will blow up either in his pants or after pulling it out, and he will not be able to use it again until the next day.
- Inverted in First Blood as Phil happened to have another one that saved him from being bitten by Vampires.
- Hiss Before Fleeing: The Vampires always seem to hiss whenever they show up or flee.
- Hypnotize the Princess: Happens to Skylar twice in That's Gonna Leave a Mark by the vampires. Once when the Fearleaders try to convince her that she's their Vampire Princess and again after Sadie 2 gets bitten and tries to get a taste of Skylar's Blood.
- Ho Yay: Skylar and Sadie R find themselves in a couple of situations like that.
- Lampshaded in First Blood after Dudley reveals to Sadie R that their Mom took a picture of her and Skylar sleeping together. The reason for that is that Sadie R fell asleep while comforting Skylar from a nightmare and Skylar cuddled into her arms.
- In-Series Nickname
- Tommy calls Chuckie "Chuckeroo"
- Henry, Sadie 2, Ryan, and Myra call Skylar "Sky"
- Jerkass: Henry for some reason in Fear the Day until the first half of First Blood.
- Ryan, after he was bitten by the vampires.
- The Fearleaders count as well as their vampire army, including whoever was bitten.
- Large Ham: While some of the babies can be that way depending on the situation, Phil and Chuckie love to use this trope. Either Chuckie is panicking or Phil is just being himself (in the continuity of this Fanfiction).Phil: WOOO, IT'S TIME BOYS! YOU GUYS ARE GOING DOWN!
- Lighter and Softer: Fear the Day is this, compared to the following stories.
- Mr. Exposition: While the babies do have their moments, Tommy is always the one to provide exposition at the beginning of each story. He explains the current situation and how him and the others got themselves to that point, as well as important plot details to keep in mind of.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Sadie R and Sadie 2. Depends on who the other characters are talking to:
- Sadie from Girl vs Monster is known as Sadie 2 by the babies except when actually speaking to her. Justified because she doesn't have a last name.
- Sadie from Legends of the Hidden Temple/Rugrats counts as well. But, is given the last name of "Rodriguez" and is called Sadie R by the Girl vs Monster characters, or "Our Sadie" by the Rugrats. If the two girls are mentioned each other respectively in some way, they don't use their respective nicknames.
- None of the characters refer to the Fearleaders by their real names, just by they represent (i.e. Victoria is called "Vampire Girl").
- Original Character: Characters like Sarah, Emmy, Kim, and Shawn are entirely new that were introduced earlier within the fanfiction's continuity.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Vampires here can easily roam around in broad daylight and not be affected by the sun. Blood is still needed to survive, they don't show up in photographs, garlic only stinks to them and they're just scared of crosses because it's the sign of crucifixions.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Henry strangely acts like a Jerk throughout Fear the Day and the first half of First Blood.
- Previously On : Tommy will give recaps of the previous events as a way to catch readers up before jumping into their next adventure. Granted, he has to do this because this is a Story Arc.
- Put on a Bus: Sadie R's brothers, Noah and Dudley are most notably absent. However, Dudley was in First Blood before being pushed to the side to focus on the other characters and Noah is participating in a Foreign Exchange Program.
- Skylar's Parents go off to do an assignment and leave their daughter and her friends in the care of their assistant Cobb, but then he disappears for no reason.
- Most of the adults don't really appear aside from Tommy's family, but it's only for the first two stories. Dil is mentioned in both stories, while Angelica only has a mention in Fear the Day.
- Myra doesn't appear at all in Fear the Day, mostly because she was bitten by Victoria alongside everyone at Skylar's school.
- Running Gag: Several Gags are lifted from the series as well as new ones being added:
- The Adults still don't pay attention to the kids.
- Grandpa Lou still has his When I Was Your Age... stories with his fifteen mention.
- The babies still mispronounce words or substitute them with different words.
- New ones include: Phil acting like the Plucky Comic Relief either saying or doing something random.
- The babies suffering Amusing Injuries.
- Phil getting blown up by a C4 whenever it's mentioned.
- The babies commenting that they can be destructive at times.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Characters like Sarah and Sadie R aren't immune to the slapstick in the more comedic moments.
- Story Arc: There are 6 stories with individual names that form an overarching plot.
- Shout-Out: The babies would often quote stuff from YouTubers like The Derp Crew depending on the situation.
- Suddenly SHOUTING: The characters will tend to shout for comedic reasons, when things are going wrong, or when they're panicking.Chuckie: Okay, NOT A LOTTA OPTIONS HERE!
- Switching P.O.V.: Each of the Rugrats get a chance to tell their side of the story either to give their thoughts on a certain character or predicament, speculate on certain events. Or in Tommy's case, to recap events from a previous adventure to catch up readers.
- Tempting Fate: Happens numerous times within the stories.Ryan: And what are you gonna do about i—(Blast)
- The Door Slams You: Happens to Tommy in Fear the Day right before the babies meet Skylar and friends.Phil: Well, what do you know? Looks like someone did fall on their back today.
Henry: Well, you don't just stay there blocking the door when other people are trying to get out the back.Skylar: But you didn't say anything about the door closing on you, did you?(Close)Henry: Ow
- Right after that:
- The Leader: Tommy is still the leader of the babies.
- Time Skip: Not officially confirmed how much time has passed since the end of their respective shows/movies, but characters such as Tommy, Skylar and Sadie R are still 1, 15, and 16 respectively.
- Within the stories themselves, they either begin where a previous story ended and also skip a head 1-2 days while one of the babies explain what happen during.
- Two Girls to a Team: Inverted as the girls outnumber the boys in total. Regarding each team:
- In the Rugrats Team: Tommy, Chuckie and Phil are outnumbered by Lil, Kimi, Sarah and Emmy as well as Sadie R whenever she joins in.
- Justified for the Girl vs Monster crew, but that only applies to "Fear the Day" at the moment. Inverted in "First Blood" after Ryan got bit in the beginning and then Henry in the middle of the story. Moreso in "That's Gonna Leave a Mark", when Sadie 2 gets bitten, leaving Skylar all alone.
- Vampires Hate Garlic: Garlic only stinks to Vampires and will only give them bad breath if the garlic goes into their mouths.
- Averted at the end of That's Gonna Leave a Mark when Ryan and Myra decide to ignore it altogether.
- Wham Line: Quite a few are given.
Victoria: WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT THE ARMY?!Sadie R: Uhh, you realize that it's just a saying, right?Victoria: Oh no, when I say army, I mean it![...]Chuckie: Pointy teeth, pale skin, widow's peak! Tommy, we're in a room full of Vampires!
- At the end of Fear the Day:
Victoria: Oh yeah, that Carlson Girl. Anyway, after you babies foiled our plans to kill her, we just got away and spent the last 5 or so months thinking of our plan to end all plans. This involves getting rid of all you and...oh I really shouldn't say it because you're gonna be vampire food in a few minutes. However, thanks to that nosy little friend of yours snooping around in our business and nearly getting his brain eaten, I suppose he told you where we were and what we were driving that had some...special cargo in it.Skylar: Which is all of these vampires around us?Victoria: You could say that, but have you failed to notice that all of these random vampires are really the entirety of your school?(Vampires Hissing)Tommy: I knew you were behind those kidlappings!
- First Blood:
- In the beginning of the story, as the Fearleaders explain what they were doing.
Victoria: Woah, woah, hey! We don't know who was down there, nor were we expecting that to happen! We were in here the whole time. The only one who was out there was...(Door creaks open)Girl: Hello SkylarSkylar: Myra?!Phil: Now there's a plot twist if ever I've seen one.
- A few moments after:
Victoria: (Chuckles) Oh, you think you've won, do you? Took down each one of my sisters? Lassoed me into the lockers? Scaring my vampire group with crucifixions? Why, I assume your friends have backed the rest of my vampires into a corner. But you failed to realize that I had planned for such an occasion.Tommy: What are you saying? Uh-oh
- During a battle at Sadie R's school:
Myra: [To Henry]: I'm gonna make you eat those words once we get outta here! You'll be the first to suffer the wrath of the Vampire Princess!Heroes: Vampire Princess?!Ryan: Yeah, good news guys! Skylar will officially be crowned as the vampire princess with me has her prince.
- Towards the end:
Victoria: Why? Im not the Head Vampire.Tommy: What?
- That's Gonna Leave a Mark:
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Cobb mysteriously vanishes in the middle of That's Gonna Leave a Mark. Even Skylar doesn't know where he went.
- Would Hurt a Child: None of the Fearleaders or Vampires (minus Henry, and later Sadie 2) have a problem with trying to murder 7 toddlers (if they can catch them, that is).
- Would Hit a Girl: Ryan has no problem with smacking Myra and Sadie 2 anytime that they "step out of line" when they're trying to capture Skylar.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle!: The babies now have to find the real Head Vampire after Victoria delivers a Wham Line to them.