Twenty years ago, Clancy Miller left Beach City, leaving his ex wife Barb and their daughter, Sadie.
Now he's back in town for a job, and Sadie hopes to learn more about him.
Sometimes, though, it's best to just let sleeping dogs lie...
Red Sadie is a series by E350tb, where Sadie's father - who hasn't been mentioned in the show - is a government agent, and his sudden return changes the lives of everyone involved - especially Sadie's.
Note: spoilers regarding the twist in The Eye of the Storm will be unmarked, due to it being a Late-Arrival Spoiler. You have been warned.
Tropes for the series as a whole:
- Bi the Way: Barb was in a relationship with Clancy (male) and fell in love with Kay (genderless but female presenting alien).
Tropes for The Eye of the Storm:
- Cerebus Call Back: It's revealed that Rose, Garnet, and Pearl used Amethyst's interest in Little Butler, along with her getting Greg into it, to keep them in the dark about Kay while they helped her adjust to Earth.
- Foreshadowing: Right before Clancy leaves her office, Nanefua notes that despite being her father, Sadie looks nothing like him. It's later revealed that he isn't actually her father.
- The Reveal: Clancy isn't Sadie's father. Her "father" is actually Kay, a Ruby, meaning Sadie is half Gem.
- Shout-Out: Amethyst mentions playing Marzio Party.
Tropes for Ruby Stars:
- Character Development: Inverted. Amethyst's relationship with Pearl temporary deteriorates back to the constant, heated arguments of Season 1 due to her fury at her and Garnet for not telling her about Kay.
- The Dragon: Seraphinite is White Diamond's, acting as her voice and being there in her place when White can't or doesn't want to be. She even gave Seraphinite a weapon imbued with her Mind Control powers.
- Dreaming of Times Gone By: Sadie spends most of chapter three in a dream version of Kay's first day out of the ground, with herself in the place of Kay.
- Lapis fled the Earth to escape the Diamonds' wrath, only to get captured and find herself face to face with White Diamond's Dragon.
- Buck, one of the most chill and levelheaded people on Earth, tells Sadie that if she needs to scream or let out her anger, she should do it.
- Hidden Depths: Buck Dewey shares with Sadie that he is a fan of old steam locomotives while in an abandoned train yard they were shooting a music video in.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The fic's summary wastes no time in saying that Sadie is half Gem, something that was built up to in the previous fic. Later chapters also casually incorporate the show's reveal of Rose Quartz being Pink Diamond, which took years and a curveball before it was revealed.
- Playing with Fire: As she's part Ruby, Sadie has the ability to summon fire, which she unfortunately finds out by accidentally setting a wooden support beam on fire and causing the warehouse they were in to go up in flames.
- Poor Communication Kills: In Amethyst's anger over being kept in the dark about Kay, she convinces the others to not tell Garnet and Pearl that they're going to try to put Sadie's gem back into her. Sadie later passes out due to the incredibly poor reaction her body has to her gem at first, which forces a visit to the Sun Incinerator so Peridot has the right technology to revive her.
- Sudden Eye Colour: Sadie's eyes turn from green to red after her gem is lodged back into her. Out of universe, Sadie's eyes were described as green pre-gem lodging, while they're black in the show.
- Shout-Out: In response to Sadie saying that she's never seen Buck angry before, Jenny says she should see him playing "Super Bash Bros.", to which Buck bitterly replies that Smirby is incredibly cheep.
- Wham Line: Clancy states that Sadie having Kay's gem is very bad, and not because the government wants it or because it's giving her powers she doesn't know how to control. It's because of "the network", or more accurately..."The psychic control network," replied Barb, "That kept the Gems that belonged to White Diamond in line."
- A Wizard Did It: When Greg asks how Rose was able to remove Sadie's gem with no consequences, as Steven needs his to live, Barb and Clancy simply reply, "Gem magic".