My Little Pony: R.E.P is Magic is a fanfic set in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic universe. It's actually an alternate universe of the author's own webcomic series, Rep!, hence the title. In this case, "R.E.P" stands for "Red wagons Emporium of Potions." (The w is slient). It is a collaboration story written by ToonLegion (a.k.a RichieD. known as Retro 7 on Deviantart) and Barret Andersen a.k.a LemGambino.
Set during season 4 (As it's mentioned that Twilight was recently changed into an alicorn and dubbed a princess). The story starts in the town of Hoofington with a dragon named "Coin" being found in a barrel outside an orphanage by one of said orphans, Barrel Roll or just "Rolly". Coin doesn't know how he even got there, in fact his name came from the fact that only a bit with an "x" mark was found alongside him. Naturally the orphanage takes Coin in, and Rolly and he bond during their time together. However, Coin is often given dreams trying to direct him to find Princess Twilight and something about "Stars". Indeed, not long after he's taken in, a shooting star literally falls into the duo's grasp, prompting them to find out what it all means.
What follows is many misadventures and meetings of various allies and enemies along the way, while discovering a much bigger picture beyond the scope of Equestria.
Can be read at FIMFiction as well as Fanfiction.net with the stories set to be posted on Deviantart with illustrations as well.
R.E.P Is Magic has the following tropes
- Apple of Discord: The shooting star shows signs of this in Chapter 3 when Rolly starts going on rant about using it's power to undo his abandonment. Coin realizes the power is starting to corrupt him and quickly knocks Rolly back to his senses. They both decide the star's too dangerous to be used after that.
- Alternate Universe: As stated, it's an alternate universe version of the author's webcomic series.
- Came from the Sky: Coin's introduction to E.G is this after Padlock shoots his wing and causes him to crash into E.G's house.
- Continuity Nod:
- Doorstop Baby: Rolly explains he was found as a foal in a donation bin. It's assumed this is the case of Coin as well.
- Fun with Acronyms: As states the title means Red wagons Emporium of Potions.
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: Said in the author note in the first chapter.Hello all. I wish to tell a My Little Pony story. Heh, those are nine words that I never thought I would utter in my lifetime.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: A real touchy issue with Rolly who, despite being at the orphanage for years, is trying to cope that his initial family just abandoned him. It doesn't help that he has an "Incomplete Cutie Mark" which he feels is keeping him from being adopted.
- Invisibility: Glowstick, one of the Locket Bandits, uses this to give her gang a edge against the nuns when they start to fight back. It's foiled however when one of the orphans runs to the kitchen and spreads flour everywhere.
- Ironic Name: Despite his name and the maneuver it implies, Rolly is a Earth pony.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Coin finds he has amnesia and doesn't even know how he got into the barrel outside the orphanage, let alone his true name.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When the Locket Bandits invade the orphanage, the supposedly docile and peace keeping Mother Katsidy and her clergy instantly go on the defensive much to the surprise of the orphans.Katsidy: You seem to be under the impression that as a nun, Im all about love and peace. While that may be true, Im afraid the title of the place is a bit misleading. Celestia gives mercy we don't.
- Line-of-Sight Name: Coin names himself this after finding the "X" scared bit in his hand.
- Power Gives You Wings: In the fifth chapter, Coin, enraged that one of the bandits wasted the wishing star's power. Suddenly gains these on his back. It's a surprise to both Rolly and the bandit as there's been no record of a baby dragon having wings, least that they know of.
- The heads of the orphanage, Sister Katsidy and Sister Brim as well as a fellow orphan, Clem, are based on characters from Sister Claire. In fact the line Katsidy says at the end of Chapter 4 is the same one used in the comic as well.
- Katsidy is a Luv-Cat which was the species whose town Chrysalis took over in the third issue of the comic series.
- Likewise Father Bell is based on Alexander from Hellsing, only with less psychotic tendencies.
- Wasteful Wishing: Dragonfly, one of the Locket Bandits, does this when he can't get out of the window of Rolly's secret room and wishes for a hammer to bust out of it. The star instantly goes inert after the wish is granted.
- Would Hurt a Child: Padlock though he does hold off on "interrogating" the orphans by having his gang look for the shooting star through the orphanage first. He only considers resorting to it when his patience starts to run thin by his gang having no luck in their search.