Primeval America is a Primeval fanfic by Hublerdon.
The premise is similar to that of the original series: faced with the appearance of anomalies in the United States, a team of soldiers, scientists and random bystanders is assembled to stop the past from wrecking the present. However, the series is notable for be much darker than the original.
While the main story is on Wattpad, the author has posted a link to it on his DeviantArt account, which is also where he posts artwork for the story. The main story has gone silent for sometime and the author has not expressed interest in continuing it,but he has also expressed interest in posting more art for it.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: Warren, in a nutshell.
- Boring, but Practical: Even though the team has access to really advanced technology, they go after the creatures that come through the anomalies with normal tranquilizer rifles and plastic bullets as opposed to some high-tech taser rifle. However, this bites them in the ass when they go up against Scarface, as plastic bullet don't even phase him.
- Darker and Edgier: Big time. The first episode alone sets up the tone of the rest of the story.
- Deconstructed Trope: While the team is composed of experts in their respective fields, they're going up against creatures that we know next to nothing about, barring what can be learned from fossils. Consequently, they need a lot of guess work to determine their foes' behavior, and take a fair amount of casualties over the course of the series.
- Also, the reason the ADACU was formed was to deal with an increase in anomalies that started in 2014. While they are good at fighting the incursions, since they don't completely understand the anomalies, they can't actually stop them from occurring, so, at best, they are fixing the symptoms of the problem without addressing its cause. And it's unlikely they'll be able to do anything meaningful in regards to stopping the anomalies from forming.
- Establishing Series Moment: In the very first episode, multiple creatures come through one anomaly, regular weaponry doesn't do squat against a tyrannosaur, two experienced members of the team are left stranded inside an anomaly, and the aforementioned tyrannosaur kills dozens of innocent bystanders.
- Mega Neko: Xenosmilus.
- Prehistoric Monster: Averted, Defied, or Justified most of the time: we often get to see many of the creatures acting naturally and not just be roaring monsters who want to eat people. The only times this is played straight is when the creature in question is in very stressful settings.
- Seldom-Seen Species: Tarbosaurus, Saurolophus, Therizinosaurus, Saichainia, Glyptotherium, and Xenosmilus.
- Stock Dinosaurs: Velociraptor and Oviraptor.