Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Journal (known as MD Journal on the author's deviantART page) is a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanfiction written Tom Pokenutter.
It details the adventures of Heath, a human who wakes up one day transformed into a Pokémon, in true Mystery Dungeon style. From his awakening in a cave, he is taken in by a friendly Charmander named Kim, and starts a rescue team with an Axew named Julius. A real pity he's not actually a human, but is in fact a sentient spacial distortion that could end life as we know it if he's allowed to run around unchecked.
The fic uses first-person present-tense to give the reader an insight into Heath's head, and so that the reader is never aware of any more than Heath is.
This fic contains examples of:
- Cypher Language: Done during a dream sequence in Entry 18. Heath can hear Palkia and the Kirlia speak, but believes them to be speaking in a different language. The cipher can be solved, however, for some spoilers of what's to come.
- Gender Bender: Done to the entire cast for April Fool's Day 2013. Shockingly, none of the characters seemed to notice.
- Good Is Not Nice: Jaroda, full stop."For some reason, he isnt emanating his usual terrifying aura, but then it dawns on me; he has me in his pocket, Kim is scared to death of him, and Julius just wants to take jobs. He doesnt need to terrify us."
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Done in Entry 15 , after a long hiatus."Anyway, sorry about how long this took."That came completely out of the blue. I decide to play along. "Yeah, it felt like a year, didn't it?"He looks confused. "What are you on about?"
- Manipulative Bastard: Jaroda, who uses his Fear Aura to dig up some dirt on Heath (namely, the fact that he's a human,) and then rope him into delivering a letter.
- Mythology Gag: The Grovyle, Meowth, and Chimchar who work the Sylvan Elevator? Those are characters from an old fanfic the author never finished.
- The Reveal: Heath isn't human, and never was. He's a sentient tear in the fabric of space-time, and was created to combat another such tear.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Done by Heath in Chapter 31, in response to the Darkari Shard telling him that his mission is inherently pointless.