- "Last Time on Pokemon: Johto Quest!"— The narrator's catchphrase at the beginning of almost every episode
The series follows a five year old girl named Emily Hawthorne who goes on a journey with her Mareep named Eddy to win all eight Johto league badges to gain admittance to the Nidoran Region where her father is said to be living.
The episodes in this series can be found here.
According to the About Me and The Series section of the Johto Quest website, the series was inspired by a multitude of things such as the "Walking Pokemon" mechanic from Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver and their time playing through Johto, as well as other Pokemon regions they traveled through as a kid.
This series contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Emily's mom is one of these as she treated her daughter like her punching bag for a while. However, she feels bad about doing this and wants to repair her relationship with her daughter.
- Adaptation Expansion: This series does this to some extent with the inclusion of the Johto Colonies and the inclusion of a few Original Characters.
- Badass Adorable: Emily gradually becomes this as the series progresses. Eddy (Emily's Mareep) is also an example of this.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The narrator constantly does this at the beginning and ending of nearly every episode.
- Disappeared Dad: Emily's dad is this when he is forced out of the house. Before he leaves, he tells Emily that he'll be in the "Nidoran Region".
- Free-Range Children: Emily is one of these for a majority of the series as she travels freely through the Johto region.
- Original Character: Emily Hawthorne is a major example of this. However, there are a few other original characters in this series such as Emily's mom and dad, Walter, Albert, and Martha.
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: Emily picks up a few of these along her journey, especially in episode two. In episode three, it's revealed that Eddy had also picked up some of these prior to the events of Johto Quest.
- Pokémon Speak: This trope is averted as the Pokemon in this series make generic animal noises. For example, Eddy is a sheep-like Pokemon and therefore it bleats like an actual sheep.
- Retired Badass: Martha from episode two is this for standing up to the Mareep Liberation League (who were trying to take her Mareep) and calling on her Ampharos to take care of them prior to moving to Johto and retiring from her job as a Mareep farmer.
- The Runaway: Emily becomes this when she finds out the "real reason" her parents separated.