Like everything else produced from Charles Bhepin's pen, it's initially well written, epic and deeply weird. This version of Shinji is the last survivor after Third Impact and, apparently, the last living being on his Earth. His self-loathing is vast, his AT-Field is strong, and Halkeginia has no idea what just hit it.
Points of Familiarity provides examples of:
- Death by Childbirth: It's strongly implied that the reason Shinji is completely alone before he's summoned is because this happened to Asuka.
- Fingore: Shinji severs one of his fingers and uses the bones as the raw material for the Angel masks.
- Powers as Programs: Somewhat more literally than usual. ->PROGRAM LOAD: Hokuto Shin Ke-
- Rape as Drama: Played with, and then played straight. Shinji offers himself (yes, in that way) to Count Mott in exchange for Siesta, but is turned down. Later, Mott forces Siesta to give him a blowjob.
- Sharing a Body: The Well of Souls consists of every human that was alive at the moment of Third Impact. However, it is (hilariously) represented by the people closest to Shinji in life. Like Kensuke Aida.
- Shout-Out: Tons.
- Soul Power: AT-Field WTFHAX is thoroughly incompatible with Halkeginian magic.
- Take That!: To Fullmetal Alchemist: "They have the Philosopher's Stone as a basic lesson. Equivalent Exchange my ass!"
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Kirche and Louise, after the Tabitha-Shinji Duel of Awesome.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Shinji is so far out of his mind with despair that he's practically come full circle back to sanity.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: The faction within the Well of Souls that is most willing to give Shinji unlimited power ... is led by Lorenz Keel.