She was meant to be the price for peace; her life in exchange for the Dragon Master's mercy. Her captor wasn't supposed to be a ghost from her past, and she wasn't supposed to become his ally...or his lover. And when news spreads of a blonde-haired girl at the Dragon Master's side, there will be repercussions for dragons and Vikings alike.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Arc Words: "Then see how well you do without me!"
- The Alcoholic: Due to his Dark and Troubled Past, Hiccup has developed a drinking problem, something that Astrid (with much protest and horrifying withdrawal) helped him kick. And even then he has relapses.
- Determinator: A trait of the Haddocks as in canon and it's both to their benefit and detriment here, too, as their stubbornness means it's hard for them to change their minds once they're set on a goal; for example, Stoick refuses to believe Hiccup when he tells him that the Red Death is too powerful for even an army of Vikings. Valka is little better as she is so set in her mindset that Vikings can't change their attitudes about dragons that she refuses to go along with Hiccup's plans to end the war, citing herself, Hiccup and Astrid as being exceptions to the rule.
- Disney Death: Everybody on Berk believed that Hiccup was killed by a Night Fury, with Stoick blaming Astrid because she was there when it happened. When everyone realizes that this was false, this comes as a shock to everybody.
- Easily Forgiven: Averted with Hiccup for the most of the fanfiction. He still resents Berk and his father for the way he was treated before starting the dragon training and openly accuses Valka of abandoning him only because she cares more about the dragons than everything else
- Fake Pregnancy: Astrid claims to be pregnant at her and Hiccup's trial to buy both of them more time. Later averted when it turned out that she actually was pregnant and simply didn't know it at the time.
- Godzilla Threshold: Hiccup tells Stoick that his mother's alive out of desperation that Stoick will at least spare Astrid and the dragons and hopefully change his mind about the Red Death.
- In Spite of a Nail: The final battle with the Red Death goes almost exactly the same way of the first movie, including Hiccup losing his leg
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: Despite being married to Snotlout, it is mentioned that Ruffnut cheats on him, making it likely that her child might not actually be his. Later averted.
- Meaningful Titles: In Greek Mythology, Persephone was a virginal goddess and daughter of Demeter (Goddess of the Harvest) who was kidnapped by Hades (Lord of the Underworld, brother of Zeus and ruler of the dead) and becomes Queen of the Underworld. Here, Astrid was offered as a virgin sacrifice to the perceived lord of dragons the Dragon Master (who turned out to be Stoick's thought-to-be-dead son Hiccup) and ended up becoming his lover and partner in crime.
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: Inverted. Astrid is very close to her younger sister Brenna. Because of their mothers age and Astrid trying to make up for what (she thinks) happened to Hiccup, Astrid helped look after Brenna as a baby. Brenna began to look up to her, her first word being sissy. Because of this, Berks gossip mongers went so far as to believe that Astrid was actually her mother (with this theory also assuming that Hiccup is Brenna's father to 'justify' Astrid's grief and account for how nobody else claimed the title), her parents trying to cover up for her by claiming to be Brenna's parents.
- Only Sane Man: Gobber is the only one in Berk who opposes to sacrificing Astrid and tries to convince Stoick to actually listen to Hiccup's warnings about the Red Death.
- Outlaw Couple: After much convincing, Astrid ends up joining Hiccup's raid-based work. She ends up becoming a wanted woman in the process just like him.
- Parents as People: Stoick truly did love his son and is stunned when Hiccup tells him he thinks he was only Loving a Shadow whem he thought Hiccup was excelling in dragon-training. Valka's relationship with her son is only slightly better. Astrid's parents agreed to Stoick's decision to sacrifice her out of desperation and pressure from (almost) the entire village to do so, though they regret the decision even before it becomes apparent that it didn't work. Relationships are strained, to say the least.
- Reality Ensues:Hiccup's detoxification is a grueling experience even though he comes out better for it. And just like real-life alcoholics, extremely stressful events like being disowned by his father cause him to relapse.
- Really Gets Around: During his time away from Berk, one of the various coping mechanisms Hiccup has developed to avoid his emotional baggage (aside from excessive drinking) is his habit of hooking up with women (sailors daughters, mostly) looking for a night away from their fathers, Heather being a recurring Friend with Benefits. He quits this when he and Astrid become an official couple, though his experience has definitely come in handy (see Sex God below for context).
- Red Baron: Hiccup is known as the Dragon Master because of the mistaken impression that he's leading the dragon raids. He and Astrid go over the list of aliases she's accumulated since becoming his accomplice and she's not impressed with most of them ("Dragon Master's Whore" being one), except maybe "Valkyrie of Destruction."
- Sex God: As confirmed by this conversation.Ruffnut: I need details. I need to know if Hiccup Horrendous Haddock grew up into a sex god.
Astrid: I'm not gonnathis is the pressing matter we need to discuss?
Ruffnut: Astrid. Come on, twerpy, clumsy, dorky little Hiccup. But oh, all that forge work, bet he's good with his hands-
Astrid: [Sigh] Hiccup Horrendous Haddock grew up into a sex god.
Ruffnut: That's my girl! Details, bitch!
- Something Only They Would Say: Hiccup manages to get Stoicks attention by telling him that his mother/Stoicks wife is alive. At first Stoick thinks it is some underhanded trick, but he slowly starts to believe him when Hiccup draws him a portrait with too much detail for him to falsify. They strike up a deal; Hiccup escorts him to Valkas location, Hiccup can hold off on telling him where the Red Deaths nest is and Stoick spares Astrid and Toothless until then.
- Spoiled Brat: As he loved Hiccup, Gobber admits to Stoick that he didn't discipline his son enough and when he did it seemed like it was overcompensating to Hiccup. He does recognize that Hiccup has learned discipline and grown since he's been gone and tells Stoick this so that the chief will speak to him as a man.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Stoick is confident that he can kill the Red Death and end the war despite Hiccup giving a good description of how big and powerful it is. Stoick shrugs this off as Hiccup trying protect all dragons, even the Red Death.
- Too Much Alike: An exasperated Gobber claims this of Hiccup and Stoick.
- Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object: Gobber describes Stoick and Hiccups discourse as like setting two diamonds against one another; only they can make any meaningful impact onto one another and eventually one will break.
- Virgin Sacrifice: Everyone on Berk believed that the Dragon Master was behind the dragon raids. Because of that, when they were unable to catch him, the village turned to bribing him with food and money. Their last resort was to offer a virgin for him, choosing Astrid who both volunteered as penance for failing to save Hiccup and was picked because of said death. He technically takes the bribe, but it does nothing to help.
- With Friends Like These...: It does not take long for the Hooligans them to realize that one of the reasons why Astrid was so quick to join Hiccup and his cause was because he treated her ''far'' better than they ever did.