Parting the Clouds is a Rational Fic rewrite of Animorphs in which Cassie is recast as a rationalist. It vaguely follows the plot of the original series with some new subplots, removed plotholes and tightened relationships between different aspects of the series, told from a rationalist perspective.
Unusually for a fanfic, except for one Choose Your Own Adventure installment, no knowledge of the original series is presumed.
- Armless Biped: Leerans
- Badass Normal: In a world of mind-controlling slugs, auto-healing shapeshifters and ultra-strong alien robots, the Star Defenders survive by... being kinda good at gymnastics.
- Choose Your Own Adventure: One of the books in the series is like this, putting the reader into the world with their current life experiences and no immediate explanation for their circumstances.
- Five-Man Band: All of the main characters receive a slight intelligence boost, but occupy the same general roles as in the original books.
- Foreshadowing: There's... there's a lot of it. Sometimes as a throwaway description 8 or 9 books ahead.
- Genre Savvy: Marco is aware of, and actively enforces with his banter, the Five-Man Band roles that each member of the group plays.
- Masquerade: Both the yeerks and the Animorphs have a vested interest in keeping the war for Earth a secret from the masses. The yeerks don't want an open war because it would destroy so many valuable host bodies, and the Animorphs don't want one because the yeerks would inevitably win, killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process.
- The Animorphs, knowing that the yeerks have a better capacity to cover up Masquerade breaches, occasionally use this to their advantage, either by leaving their own mess for the yeerks to clean up or deliberately pushing fights into populated areas, knowing that the yeerks will have to give up the chase to avoid far too many witnesses.
- The Needs of the Many: Early in the series, a recurring disagreement between Marco and the rest of the Animorphs on whether they were obligated to risk their lives for the chance to save the world was prominent. Since Marco found his reason for fighting, the argument has been between Cassie and the other Animorphs, over how many innocent lives it is acceptable to sacrifice to maximise their chances of saving the planet.
- No Biochemical Barriers: When on other planets, the Animorphs need to be studied for the locals to verify that they can eat their food, but there haven't been any real problems in any species sourcing food on other planets.
- Non-Powered Costumed Hero: The Star Defenders.
- Rational Fic: Cassie is recast as a rationalist.
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute??: The Animorphs have a lot of sympathy for human and hork-bajir hosts, but as of yet, no thought at all has been given to the taxxons.