Charlotte lives with her grandmother in the small town of Clamberg. Her neighbors envy Charlotte and her picturesque family. In a town ruled by a fiendish child and riddled with horrors, Charlotte's innocence stands in stark contrast to her surroundings.
Everything changes when Charlotte remembers certain memories she had long since locked away.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Vendetta has the vague line "They made me feel like I was two inches tall, so I made THEM two inches tall." that implies her parents were emotionally abusive.
- Adaptational Villainy: Charlotte snaps and turns evil.
- Dark Fic: The story takes the dark tones of the cartoon and rolls with it. Vendetta is a genuinely evil child who unashamedly kills people. Charlotte becomes her accomplice and is so creepy that she even weirds out Vendetta.
- Death by Adaptation:
- Charlotte's parents may-or-may-not be alive in the cartoon canon. Here, they were murdered by The Mafia years ago.
- Charlotte and Vendetta murder Charlotte's grandmother.
- Enfant Terrible:
- Vendetta. When Charlotte describes her parents murder, Vendetta takes notes.
- Charlotte is just as bad as Vendetta (if not worse) but it takes a nudge to unlock her dark side. She even weirds Vendetta out.
- For the Evulz: Vendetta is an anarchist who likes being evil just because she finds it fun.
- Innocence Lost: After remembering her parent's death, Charlotte loses her borderline-delusional innocence. This depression eventually leads into rage.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Charlotte's bed quilt has kitten designs on it.
- Never Say "Die": The word does get used, but so does "destroy". In this case, "destroying" someone implies something more "brutal" than just "killing" them.
- Puppy Love: Charlotte and Vendetta are elementary schoolers at oldest. In their case, it's less than cute.
- Released to Elsewhere: Charlotte's grandmother lied to her and told her that her dead parents were astronauts.
- Repressed Memories: The fanfic starts when Charlotte recalls the memory of seeing her parents murdered while she hid in a closet.
- Sanity Slippage: Charlotte's facade breaking quickly leads into this. It's lampshaded by Vendetta:"I am thinking you have lost whatever sanity you have left"
- Self-Made Orphan: Subverted. Vendetta gets upset when Charlotte asks her why she left her parents alive.
- Slash Fic: It's not the focus, but it is heavy on Vendetta/Charlotte subtext.
- Shout-Out: The title is a reference to the song "Paint It Black".
- Tsundere: Vendetta won't admit her affections for Charlotte.