The story starts soon after Tip is turned into Ozma. Ozma dislikes her new life as a princess and does her best to avoid it. It gets to the point where Ozma runs off along with the Cowardly Lion. The two end up reaching a jungle in the Munchkin Country.
While bathing in a pond, Ozma notices her reflection and is awed by her beauty. Ozma later has an encounter with the Hungry Tiger. The two cats convince Ozma to return to the Emerald City, but she in turn invites the Hungry Tiger to live in the capital with her.
Ozma Sees Herself was published in the third issue of the fan-magazine Oz-Story in 1997. The story deals with the psychological ramifications of Tip's change into Princess Ozma.
Ozma Sees Herself provides examples of:
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Ozma hates her sudden change into a girl and wishes she could be carefree like Tip again.
- Gender Bender Angst: Ozma runs away because she doesn't like the major shift from carefree farmboy to the queen of Oz.
- Interquel: It's set inbetween The Marvelous Land of Oz and Ozma of Oz.
- Rebellious Princess: The story starts with Ozma rather climbing trees than doing her job as queen.
- Sapient Eat Sapient: The Hungry Tiger wants to eat Ozma until the Cowardly Lion introduces him to her.
- Tomboy Princess: Due to being Raised as the Opposite Gender for 8-16 years, Ozma prefers being "boyish" and rebels against her new role.