A One Piece Fan Fic by serrende, Opening the Box deals with Sanji attempting to talk to Usopp after the events of Thriller Bark, trying to figure out why he says he's already negative. But is getting to the bottom of this really the best idea...?
This One Piece Fan Fic contains examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: While talking about it helped a little — mostly the second time around — both acknowledge that there's no 'quick fix' for Usopp's issues. Still, they understand each other a little better now.
- Change the Uncomfortable Subject: Usopp attempts this when Sanji starts prying a little too much.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Both Sanji and Usopp manage to do this.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
- Epiphany Therapy: Averted. As Sanji quickly discovers, Usopp's issues aren't about to be banished with one or two pep talks, especially when he doesn't want to have them in the first place.
- Internalized Categorism
- Poor Communication Kills
- Meaningful Echo: In a Call-Back to what Sanji told him once before:Usopp: And maybe that's just how it has to be. I can't be you and you can't be me. But.. but that doesn't mean I have to like it, goddamnit!
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: While Sanji honestly means well, his stubborn refusal to back off despite Usopp sending all sorts of signals that he really should doesn't end well.
- Not Quite the Right Thing: As it turns out, while the reasoning behind their decision was sound, seeing the others sailing away from Water 7 without him left Usopp convinced they really didn't need him after all.
- Remember That You Trust Me: Enies Lobby should've helped with this whole 'negativity' thing, right? That's how Sanji sees it, anyway...
- The All-Solving Hammer: Sanji sees Zoro as having this attitude, musing at one point that if he let him know what was going on, the marimo'd find some way to 'help' that'd leave him 'hacked up into ground beef' again, because that's just what he does.
- They're Called "Personal Issues" for a Reason