Homesick for her own planet, Amanda takes a trip to Earth and takes Spock with her. Spock anticipates not enjoying this visit at all. Can an eight-year-old human named James Tiberius Kirk change his mind?
This fanfic includes the following tropes:
- Aloof Big Brother: Averted. Sam and Kirk don't see one another often (thanks to Sam being away at a space school) but they are on very good terms.
- Bully Hunter: The young Kirk jumps on a classmate who is beating up Spock.
- Fantastic Racism: Spock is called "Freak" by the other human children.
- First-Name Basis: Spock calls Kirk "Jim".
- Former Teen Rebel: Amanda is said to have been quite a wild girl before meeting Sarek.
- Declaration of Protection: Kirk tells Spock that [he's] never gonna let [the other children] beat him up again."
- Do You Trust Me?: Even after Kirk rescues him from bullies, Spock is nervous about letting Kirk help him up and take him home. Kirk says, "Spock, you just gotta trust me."
- Hates Being Touched: Spock cannot stand being touched by anyone for most of the fanfic because his touch telepathy overwhelms him.
- I Can Explain: Kirk says this word for word to Amanda when he realizes she caught him and Spock sneaking out. His explanation, however, is mostly, "It was my fault, not his."
- Measuring the Marigolds: During a fight, Kirk criticizes Spock for being smart but being unable/unwilling to appreciate things. Played with; Spock can appreciate things, but thanks to his Vulcan upbringing, he's reluctant to say anything.
- Power Incontinence / Touch Telepathy: Spock can read other people's thoughts when he touches them. Unfortunately, he cannot keep himself from reading their thoughts.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: At one point, Spock writes a limerick full of polysyllabic words as a school project.