NGE:(Not) the End is an alternate universe Neon Genesis Evangelion Fanfic by Fyrstorm.
The premise is simple, combining the main story-lines of the original series, the recent movie trilogy, the manga adaptation, and the author's own ideas. (Not) the End pushes back the appearance of the Angels by two years, aging the characters up and making them a little different from canon. Naturally, things get different from there. Where does it start?
Warning: there are spoilers below!
(Not) the End contains examples of:
- Action Girl: As with the source material, pretty much every female pilot. Misato also counts as this, due to fending off Iruel with a sub machine gun to buy time.
- The Evangelions themselves count as this, due to containing the souls of the pilots' mothers. Kyoko/Unit-02 in particular fits this, fighting Sandalphon directly in Chapter 030 to buy time for Mari.
- Anatomy Arsenal: Every single Evangelion has some sort of built-in weapon, most of which are a Shout Out to some other mecha franchise.
- Unit-00's fists can use elbow rockets to enhance their force.
- Unit-01 has two I-22 Plasmacasters, as seen in the fight against Israfel and the Berserker Incident flashback.
- Unit-02 has so-called "Dragon Fangs" on her hands and feet, as well as a Stingblade on each arm.
- Unit-05 has her Shock Anchors, a set of wire-mounted cables that discharge electricity into the target.
- As of Chapter 036, all Evangelion units are equipped with a pair of machine guns in their heads as an emergency weapon.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Fight scenes between Evas and Angels usually end with both sides suffering multiple wounds of varying degrees of melting/messiness/burntness, stained with their colourful Alien Blood.
- Most recently, the two best contenders for this are the second Israfel fight, and Sandalphon vs. Beast Mode Unit-02.
- Blood Knight: Mari, just as much as she is in canon.
- Bolivian Army Ending:
- Chapter 016 ends with Asuka stuck in Unit-02, sinking to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.
- Chapter 029 ends when Mari is eaten alive by Sandalphon. To make things worse, because of this, the UN Forces are going to nuke the place.
- Broken Ace: As in canon, Asuka. The only difference here is that she breaks even more after learning she's responsible for the death of all 25,000 people who couldn't escape the Pacific Fleet before the Seventh Angel destroyed it.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The first fight with Israfel, even more than canon. It ended with Nerv having to drop several N2 Mines before they could rescue the Evas and pilots. Nerv simply never had the experience to deal with multiple opponents at once, and the fact that everyone froze up after Israfel revealed its abilities to replicate and regenerate certainly didn't help them.
- The fight against Hofniel and Matarael serves to show this trope applied in the opposite direction, when Unit-02y and Unit-05 wipe the floor with them, and take barely any damage at all.
- Heroic BSoD: Asuka breaks down when she's trapped at the bottom of the ocean, unable to escape.
- Human Resources: Iruel uses the Simulation Evas to form itself a composite body. Later, it adds in the corpses of the failed Eva prototypes to make itself even larger.
- Improvised Weapon: Unit-00's skull, and Unit-05's anchoring drills— against Shamshel and Sachiel, respectively.
- Jousting Lance: Unit-05's primary weapon is the Lance of Cassius.
- As of Chapter 036, the Lance of Cassius is bigger, longer, and features a pair of built-in guns.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Asuka's portrayed in a more sympathetic light initially, though she still has her aggressive attitude and Attention Whore parts present.
- Meat Moss: Iruel, Terror of God.
- Mind Rape: Sandalphon essentially does this, trapping Mari inside her own mind, convincing her that her life is useless, and eventually straight up trying to metaphorically choke her (soul) to death. The end of Chapter 030 suggests just how bad the damage is.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivered twice in Chapter 021, first by Shinji to Gendo, and then by Asuka to both of them.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: The fic's resident Battle Couple, Asuka and Mari.
- Super Mode: Two examples so far:
- Beast Mode. Once Mari activates it properly, she mortally wounds Sandalphon in moments, in spite the fact that she was being MindRaped for the last ten or so minutes.
- Perfect Synch. Used by Asuka against the Seventh and Third/Eleventh Angels, it pushes the pilot's synchronisation to 100%, in what is essentially a controlled Berserker state. The only downside is that it's very tiring on Asuka.