Daniel Hebert and his daughter, Taylor, save a Ward of the Protectorate from a certain and painful death, only to find themselves facing a far worse fate. As they say, no good deed...
This work of fanfiction contains the following tropes:
- Berserk Button: When Taylor sees Kaiser dismiss her father's death, and gets feedback from her powers that he honestly believes he can get away with it, she turns the Empire rally against each other and kills him herself.
- Break the Haughty: Sophia gets hit with this hard from the very start of the story, and things don't get any easier for her.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: In the face of certain death from his captors Danny refuses to quit and keeps continually insulting his tormenters despite horrific injuries so that they will focus on him instead of Taylor.
- From Bad to Worse: The timeline so far in the fic can be described as a Trauma Conga Line. For a work such as Worm which is already pretty dark to begin with, this is saying something.
- Honor Before Reason: Averted and played straight with the Empire. The guys who tried to murder Shadow Stalker and frame the ABB were doing so without any sort of approval from the Empire, and Kaiser made it clear that there would be no 'retaliation' for Danny and Taylor's intervention. Played straight with the brother of the dead thug who explicitly said he didn't care about Kaiser's orders. Even Hookwolf asks how stupid they had to be to expect they could get away with not just ignoring Kaiser's orders, but livestreaming it.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Taylor becomes a living, breathing example of this. Up to and including Critical Existence Failure.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Her most recent (as of early July 2016) interaction with Kaiser shows a lot of this.
- To further explain what happened. Taylor, in response to Kaiser dismissing her father's death, used her power to cause the entire Empire 88 rally to go berserk and start killing each other. Taylor killed Kaiser herself in the chaos
- Spanner in the Works: Taylor is this to Coil's plans, as he is terrified at the thought of falling under her power, especially
- Talking Down the Suicidal: The story opens on Assault trying to convince Taylor to not throw herself down a building.
- Villainous Rescue: Hookwolf is the first to actually reach the site where Taylor and Danny were being held. And as a result, it's him and his group that get killed in Taylor's trigger event.