Naruto: The Game of Life is a Naruto Fan Fic that, like Code Geass: The Prepared Rebellion, Zero no Tsukaima: Saito the Onmyoji, After the Chamber: Lords and Ladies, and Issei: The Gaming Gear, is a mix of Alternate Universe Fic and Rational Fic written by SeerKing that has elements from The Gamer.
One morning, Naruto wakes up to discover that his life has become a game.
This work contains examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Naruto himself is one, having obtained a number of elemental jutsu and the Shadow Clone Technique before graduating. Sakura and Ten-Ten also appear to be going this way through the training Naruto puts them through.
- Adaptational Villainy: Canonically, Mizuki had manipulated Naruto into stealing the Scroll of Seals at the start of the series and tried murdering him and Iruka. Here, the Bitch in Sheep's Clothing persona is not present and he is actively antagonistic towards Naruto to the point of trying to sabotage him constantly during his time at the Academy.
- Locked Out of the Loop: The Third Hokage is unaware of Naruto's new Gamer status and is trying to figure out some of the weird actions that go against Naruto's character. Subverted when Naruto finally reveals it to him when asked about it.
- Pet the Dog: Every time that Naruto either performs well in an exercise or is able to hold his own in a sparring match despite still losing, he notices that he still gains positive reputation points in his relationship with Sasuke.
- Prolonged Prologue: It takes around eighteen chapters to merely get to the beginning of the canon storyline.
- Rational Fic: A lot of named characters behave a lot more intelligently than in canon.
- Running Gag:
- Every time Naruto makes an intelligent observation, he is awarded points for his WIS stat, much to his irritation over time.
- Also, his Detect Bloodlust ability increases frantically due to his poor reputation with the majority of the village.
- Sudden Game Interface: How the story begins.