The Miraculous were created many years ago to help and protect humanity. Even during the Era of Quirks and Superheroes they can't be discounted. When the Black Cat Miraculous is the one taken by villainous forces, a Butterfly and Ladybug are chosen to team up and stand against it.
My Miraculous Academia contains examples of:
- Adaptational Badass:
- Adaptational Superpower Change:
- Unlike his canon-counterpart, Izuku never gets "One For All". Instead, he finds the Butterfly Miraculous, giving him superhuman strength, speed and stamina on-top of bestowing and enhancing the powers of others.
- In the case of the Butterfly Miraculous, it conjures the Butterflies used to carry out akumatization (Hawk Moth having had to bred the butterflies himself in-canon) and Izuku is able to grow butterfly wings for himself (a power Hawk Moth lacks period).
- Amplifier Artifact: While the Butterfly Miraculous usually gives powerless people superpowers, since Everyone is a Super in this setting, Izuku uses it to amplify their preexisting abilities.
- While Uraraka can lower the gravity of any object she touches, when Izuku akumatizes her into Gravity Brawler it becomes so powerful that she is able to telekinetically raise the entire building during the Heroes Vs. Villains exercise.
- During the USJ attack, Izuku akumatized the already durable Kirishima and turns him into the Nigh-Invulnerable dragon Crimson Scales.
- Badass Boast: When Gravity Brawler pins Bakugo to the ground, she gives a rather epic put-down.Gravity Brawler: What? I didn't really like it when you said I was nothing! After all, gravity is a true fundamental force, isn't it? And right now? I am it's master.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT insult Plagg's past wielders.
- Cowardly Lion: While the Butterfly Miraculous makes Izuku more skittish than normal, this doesn't stop him from wanting to be a hero. According to Nooroo, this is how it is for all of their wielders.
- Doing In the Scientist: To help deflect from Izuku's "quirk" altering clothes (a fact he has no explanation to), Momo makes a passive remark about how sometimes quirks seem to only exist to frustrate scientists.
- Empathic Weapon: It is implied by Nooroo that the reason why he is able to sprout butterfly wings is because Izuku wanted to be an "active butterfly" and not just support and thus "the suit responded to that."
- Empowered Badass Normal: While Izuku is still quirkless, having a miraculous makes it irrelevant.
- For Want of a Nail:
- Izuku finds the Butterfly Miraculous before he could have encountered the Sludge Villain. This means he never encounters the Sludge Villain or All Might, he never puts Bakugo in peril and he never receives "One For All".
- Since Izuku didn't need to train to wield One For All, Dagobah Beach is still a dump, and Momo suggests Classes 1-A and 1-B to clean it as a bonding exercise.
- In the canon version of the Heroes Vs. Villains exercise, Izuku and Ochako were the "Heroes" while Iida and Bakugo were the "Villains". Here it is the other way around.
- Good Is Not Nice: Plagg openly identifies as "the embodiment of Chaotic Good" and is not above poking and prodding Shiguraki's many Berserk Buttons and just straight-up lying to him. In the case of his wielders, those who wield the cat miraculous are usually seen as Protectors through attrition: inducing misfortune onto evil, breaking down barriers and destroying corruption.
- Good Powers, Bad People: All of the Miraculous were created to grant powers to heroes. Tomura Shigaraki is about as Card-Carrying of a Villain you could get, so him wielding The Power of Destruction with the Cat Miraculous for anything was Not the Intended Use.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Izuku had his mother make him a costume identical to his hero outfit as a means of allowing him to turn his Miraculous on and off without raising too many questions.
- Hope Bringer: The Butterfly Miraculous is described as such.Each Miraculous had powers and responsibilities that were unique to them and them alone.
The Ladybug restored order and brought good fortune to victims and other heroes alike.
The Black Cat had the capability to destroy any evil, to bring unto them misfortune.
But the Butterfly was meant to bring hope to those who had none.
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite being on opposite sides and Izuku having the Butterfly Miraculous, Izuku and Ochako still win the Heroes Vs. Villains exercise against Iida and Bakugo.
- Meaningful Name: Izuku chose the hero name "Viceroy", both a royal title and a species of butterfly. As a title, Viceroys are an aristocrat that delegates the power of a sovereign, Izuku acting in a leadership position using his power's ability to enhance others and provide analytical support. As a butterfly, Viceroys are a Batesian mimic to Monarch butterfly but lack their natural toxicity, showing that while his power is near game-breaking, it relies on others to do all of the heavy-hitting and Izuku otherwise wouldn't harm a fly (a butterfly, even). The mimicry aspect might also reference how Izuku is faking having a Quirk.note
- Personality Powers: It is established that while it takes a certain personality type to be a proper wielder of their Miraculous, the Miraculous in-turn effects the wielders. For example, while Izuku was meek to begin with, wielding the Butterfly Miraculous (butterflies often treated as fragile, its powers being support-based and provides empathy) makes him into a stuttering mess whenever he interacts with people.
- Power Perversion Potential: When Mina realizes that Izuku can change his teammate's costumes, she emphasizes how he could have put Uraraka in any outfit he wanted. Izuku knows what she is implying and blushes madly.
- Scaled Up: When Izuku empowers Kirishima, he becomes the dragon Crimson Scales.
- Wrong Context Magic: Quirks in My Hero Academia often lack Required Secondary Powers, operate on Surprisingly Realistic Outcome in-practice and theoretically has science to back up how they work. The Miraculous on the other hand are magical in nature and provide their wielders with a grab-bag of super-abilities like enhanced physical abilities on-top of their specialized superpowers. Because of this, people tend to notice the versatility in Izuku's "Quirk" and question just how it all works, from his ability to sprout butterfly wings to how a Super Empowering quirk can alter a person's superhero costume and how turning Kirishima into a dragon qualifies as a Status Buff.