Mononofu is a one shot Touken Ranbu/Onmyōji crossover fanfic written by Ki_no_Shirayuki as part of the Memories of Heian crossover fic series, preceded by Tsuki ya aranu and followed by The First Saniwa. It is crossposted together with The First Saniwa on Wattpad as a "bonus" chapter after the epilogue.
During a mission to protect the Heian period from the Historical Revisionists, Izuminokami and Horikawa are lost and meet various yōkai on the way. The story is split into 4 connected segments, each dealing with one of the duo's encounters with one member of the Onmyōji cast.
Not related to the manga of the same name.
Why sending these tropes to the Heian period is a horrible idea:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Izuminokami complains about his shitty situation:Izuminokami: First I get separated from my team, next Kunihiro is nowhere to be found, and then I get a split-end.
- Big Damn Heroes: Kasen pulls this at the end, rescuing the captive duo from Kami-kui.
- Bound and Gagged: Both Izuminokami and Horikawa in the Kami-kui segment.
- Butt-Monkey: Poor Izuminokami just can't seem to catch a break. The only time he isn't badly physically abused is in the Shuten-dōji segment, where he only gets his self-intro interrupted.
- Distressed Dude: Again, the main duo for most of the Kami-kui segment until Kasen swoops in and breaks them out.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: The two Bakumatsu swords clearly aren't having much fun in the Heian period.
- Foreign Language Title: In Gratuitous Japanese. The title is an archaic word that means "warrior". The author's note claims that it's also from a poem by Uesugi Kenshin.
- Mind-Control Music: Izuminokami is subjected to this by Yōkinshi/Maestro, made to dance and flail wildly in embarrassing routines and finally unable to move in order to fully listen to the latter's (horribly long) recital. Keep in mind that in the latter's game canon, he is a Charm Person mechanic-wise.
- Mistaken from Behind/Mistaken for Object of Affection: Shuten-dōji mistakes Izuminokami for Momiji from behind.
- No Name Given: Yōkinshi is only referred to as "the musician" and "the kotoist". The main duo's names aren't stated in the Shuten-dōji and Hotarugusa segments.
- One-Shot Fic
- One-Word Title: Foreign Language Title in Gratuitous Japanese. The title is an archaic word that means "warrior". The author's note claims that it's also from a poem by Uesugi Kenshin.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Izuminokami.Izuminokami: What the fuck do you think you're doing, you fucking bastard?
- Stalker with a Crush: Shuten-dōji seems to be this, sitting in the bushes leering at Momiji from afar until he finds out the person he's leering at isn't Momiji, or a woman for that matter.
- Walking Spoiler: The fact that Kasen appears alone makes him this.
- Wrong Turn at Albuquerque: The comedic variety: the main duo loses track of their team on a mission to the Heian period. The entire plot is dedicated to their encounters with the yōkai population of the era while trying to reunite with their team.