After the events of the episode "The Set-Up," Starsky and Hutch are in hiding in a hotel room. After a poison gas attack, they decide to hide out in the Mojave Desert, where they join forces with Original Character Maggie Landis, an archaeologist and the widow of a cop. But when shooters track down their hideout, the three of them are forced to flee on foot with an injured Starsky and a limited supply of water.
It can be read online here.
Mojave Crossing contains examples of:
- Can't See a Damn Thing: Starsky is blinded by rock splinters when a bullet hits the rock he's hiding behind.
- Crossing the Desert
- Every Car Is a Pinto: When the shooters reach the desert hideout, they shoot the gas tank of Starsky and Hutch's van, causing it and Maggie's nearby BMW to explode.
- Fake Memories: Both Terry Nash, a character from the episode, and the shooters who hunt down Starsky and Hutch have had their memories overwritten to turn them into killers.
- Hurt/Comfort Fic: An early and influential example.
- I'm Cold... So Cold...: Starsky feels cold when he goes into shock after being blinded. Later, Hutch whispers "It's cold... so cold..." after being shot.
- I Will Only Slow You Down: After Hutch is shot, Maggie leaves him and Starsky to go get help.
- Thirsty Desert: When they take off on foot, Starsky, Hutch, and Maggie only have one container of water.