- Egypt isn't the be all, end all of the sheer insanity that is mythology. Our story is over. But the real story is about to beginCarter Kane, Mischief Book 1: Red Pyramid
A For Want of a Nail Story for The Kane Chronicles that features an appearance by Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon.The story centers on siblings Carter and Sadie Kane who discover that they're descendants of ancient Egyptian magicians. This leads them to learning to master their powers while taking up the primary duty of a magician: fighting and banishing the gods once worshiped throughout Ancient Egypt. Some snags in the process include their only possible allies being out to kill them, ancient Egyptian monsters and figuring out how to defeat the god of evil himself.On top of that, there constantly followed around by a Badass, Deadpan Snarker, possibly Immortal version of Hiccup, now going by the name Haddock Norseman. He's also a son of Loki.
So far, the author has only written five chapters, one an introductory prologue. However there is another story working under the same premise which involves Haddock and Loki MSTing the Thor movie. There are also hints that the story itself takes place in a larger universe, with several Noodle Incidents referred to.
This series provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Hiccup from the movie already kicked ass, but Haddock from this series splits a sphinx in two.
- Deadpan Snarker: Haddock is practically the poster boy for this trope.
- Sadie: Carter! Oh my God, are you okay?Haddock: I'm fine too, thanks for asking.
- With the inclusion of Loki, it seems like there's soon to be a family of snark
- Freudian Excuse: Haddock is hinted to have this.
- Shout-Out: "Tonight will be bad. And tomorrow will be beyond imagining."
- The Dreaded: Haddock is this to Desjardins.