Midnight is an InuYasha Fan Fic written by IntelligentFerretFreak. It's an Origins Episode centering on Midnight, an Original Character that appears in several of the writers other InuYasha fics.
This fic contains examples of the following tropes (Beware of unmarked spoilers):
- Abusive Parents: Midnight's biological mother, Tsukiko. She curses him to become a nekomata, and most of her other appearances in the plot consist of her trying to torment him or just make things even worse for him.
- Affectionate Nickname: Midnight's father, Azzuen, often called him "Mid."
- Animated Actors: Of a sort; several chapters end with an Author's Note depicting Midnight talking with the author on what will happen to him next.
- Baleful Polymorph/Was Once a Man: In chapter 10, Tsukiko curses Midnight for his failure to avenge the death of his lover Tamsin, painfully converting him into a cat demon until he "learns his lesson."
- Be All My Sins Remembered/Mark of Shame: After Tsukiko transforms him, Midnight slaughters the entire Western army in a fit of rage. As a result, Tsukiko marks both of his tails with red stripes as a reminder of his actions.
- Been There, Shaped History: Midnight was personally acquainted with both of Inuyasha's parents. He fought in the Inu-no-Taisho's war with the moth demon Hyoga, and also helped his mother Izayoi raise Inuyasha until her death, after which he left to allow Inuyasha to learn to take care of himself. Not only that, but he was also the adoptive older brother of Kirara. See Luke, I Am Your Father below for more details.
- Cain and Abel: Midnight's relationship with his half-sister Selene.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Midnight's first two meetings with the Inu-no-Taisho were with hostility: the dog demon lord attacked him both times, first out of paranoia, and then after Midnight kills a human on his lands (though he was unaware that his killing of said human was perfectly justified). In their third meeting, however, Midnight joins his army in the upcoming fight against Hyoga, and the Inu-no-Taisho later trusts him enough to have him watch over Izayoi and the unborn Inuyasha in the event of his passing.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Midnight is Izayoi's maternal uncle, and thus Inuyasha's great uncle.
- Someone to Remember Him By: Selene was pregnant with Izayoi when Midnight killed her husband, Triell, out of revenge for Triell's murder of Midnight's lover.
- Teen Pregnancy: According to chapter 16, Izayoi was only fifteen when Inuyasha was conceived.
- Van Helsing Hate Crimes: Played straight with Selene, who develops a full-blown hatred of demons, especially cat demons, after Midnight kills Triell. Subverted with Izayoi, who, thanks to her grandfather, flat-out refuses to believe that all demons are evil.
- You Killed My Father: Subverted. Though Izayoi is well aware that Midnight was her father's killer, her grandfather (Midnight and Selene's father) made sure that she knew that her father had it coming; thus, she has no ill will towards Midnight.