Memories of a Freedom Lost is a Freedom Planet fanfiction written by author Spookyrus. It tells the story of main character Sash Lilac losing her memories in a freak accident, and how her friends, allies, and enemies deal with the situation.
The story currently has 5 chapters and 11,601 words in total. Six canonical characters have made appearances so far, as well as one original character (two if you count Blue the Stuffed Animal of Indeterminate Species). It is, as of now, uncertain as to how many chapters the story will run for. Updates are quite sporadic and do not follow a set schedule, and only five chapters were uploaded within the first year of its run. It was initially uploaded to FanFiction.net on May 9th, 2017.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Alternate Continuity/Universe Fic: Considering that it takes place after Freedom Planet but before Freedom Planet 2 and creates events that prevent Freedom Planet 2 from properly happening, it falls into this category.
- Amnesia Episode: The entire basis of the story.
- Angst: A lot of it.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Though the original Freedom Planet game wasn't entirely family-friendly itself, this story takes it a step up at the end of its first chapter with Lilac's bloody injury.
- Cry into Chest: At the end of Chapter 3, Milla sobs into Carol's in the aftermath of an argument between the two.
- Darker and Edgier: In comparison to the source material, the story takes a more realistic and depressing approach. It deals with topics like brain damage, loss of identity, motor function failure and the effects this can have on the victim and those around them.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The story is about Lilac, bringer of Freedom, losing her memories. Go figure.
- From Bad to Worse: Lilac being near-fatally wounded was bad. The injury resulting in amnesia is worse.
- Gen Fic: Despite the author's tendencies, there is to be no ship in this fic.
- Go for the Eye: Lilac's strategy for defeating the giant cyclops robot in Chapter 1.Lilac: Aim for the eye!
- Hurt/Comfort Fic: Lilac being hurt, everyone requiring comfort.
- "I Can't Look!": Carol chooses to turn Lilac back over after bearing witness to her injury for the first time.
- Mood Whiplash: Chapter 1 goes from peppy and energetic while Team Lilac is fighting a robotic adversary to suddenly grim and urgent following Lilac's disappearance and injury.
- Oh, Crap!: At the end of Chapter 1.
- Rapid-Fire "No!": Carol upon bearing witness to Lilac's injured form in Chapter 1.
- Reality Ensues: Perhaps Lilac believed that she would have been able to Dragon Boost out of that river and defy logic like she was always able to, but reality had other plans.
- Shout-Out: Blue being described as a "Stuffed Animal of Indeterminate Species" is a nod to Gravity Falls.
- Shower of Angst: Carol takes one in Chapter 3.
- Sick Episode: Sort of. A lot of the story is set in a hospital, anyway.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The robot in Chapter 1.
- See also Defeat Equals Explosion.
- Trying Not to Cry: Carol at the beginning of Chapter 3, after first receiving the specifics on what happened to Lilac. She breaks down as soon as she's alone.
- Your Door Was Open: The Magister's justification for coming into Lilac's hospital room unannounced in Chapter 2.