All the way back in 2007, many Mega Man fans were treated to the secret, cliffhanger ending that came after completing Mega Man ZX Advent's Expert Mode. Unfortunately, a sequel never saw the light of day, leaving the conflicts of the series unresolved and in the dark.
Naturally, this let Fan Fic writers go wild.
This story is one such example.
It begins with Vent and Aile's disposal of a certain dangerous Biometal before cutting to the secret ending, expanding upon it by exploring what Master Thomas might have used to achieve his goal:
Model O, the defective Biometal and host of the soul of the Devil Reploid, Omega.
It stands out from the rest due to its strong narrative and creative use of OCs in the world-building process instead of inserting them into the main cast. There are also other forces at work aside from Master Thomas, but that'll go under spoilers of course.
This story contains examples of:
- A Boy and His X: Ashe, Vent, Aile, and their respective biometals. Particularly prominent with Model A and Ashe, who cuddle together when Ashe is hit with nightmares from her past.
- An Arm and a Leg: Siarnaq loses his left arm thanks to an accidental Portal Cut due to Mikhail. Being a Reploid though, this doesn't nearly as inconvenience him as much as one might think.
- Didn't See That Coming: Thomas certainly didn't expect Mikhail's decision to destroy Model O. The destruction of Model O caused five cyber-elves to erupt from it... which Mega Man Zero fans will immediately recognize as the Dark Elf, Baby Elves, Elpizo, Copy X, and Omega himself.
- Explosive Overclocking: Mikhail He intentionally overloads his personal transerver to teleport Siarnaq away, tearing the would-be assassin's arm clear off in the process.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: For all of Master Thomas's megalomania, he still cherishes Mikhail as a friend and actually orders the Mega Men to spare him.
- Happily Adopted: After his fall from the bridge, Grey was taken in by an unnamed old couple living on the outskirts much like the caravan of Mega Man Zero 4. He would have been happy to stay if they hadn't pushed him to go out and see the world.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Siarnaq stabbing Mikhail's transerver while it was (unknowingly to him) preparing to teleport only caused it to go out of control and teleport him minus an arm when he tried to toss it away.
- Killed Off for Real: Ouroboros and Model W, supposedly. Only time will tell if it sticks or not.
- Laser Blade: The Z-Saber of course! The kicker here is that Grey is using it.
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo: All of Giga Arcadia's soldiers have their personalities and names based on characters from Red vs. Blue.
- Reality Ensues: With Vent and Aile away Maverick Hunting, the Giro Express nearly went under without its boss, leading Aile to take over while Vent went hunting with Model X due to Model Z's whereabouts being made unknown in the ending of ZX Advent.
- Robo Speak: Siarnaq, as usual.
- Schrödinger's Player Character: Averted! Every playable character is present in the story, with Vent and Aile being written as brother and sister as usual with Ashe along for the ride. Grey is here too, only he has yet to meet the other three Chosen Ones.
- Ship Tease: Ashe and Vent with Model X even lampshading it.Model X: [thinking to itself half-seriously] Ah, the bounds of young love...
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Compared to the original version of the character, Grey is awfully prone to swearing. Then again, there were censorship laws in place at the time of the game's release so...
- Take a Third Option: When confronted by Master Thomas to join him or potentially die, Master Mikhail shoots Model O before warping himself out with the transerver.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Thomas and by extension Atlas, Thetis, Siarnaq, and Aeolus. Then there's OC James Walker, who heads Giga Arcadia's security force. He's willing to send a Hydra Apsis after Grey to test him and hopefully wrench Model Z from the boy's grasp so that it will be in the military's hands.
- Wham Episode: Chapters 1 and 2 are this. The former introduced the creation of the Cyber Elves of the Dark Elf, Baby Elves, Elpizo, Copy X, and Omega himself from the destruction of Model O. The second ended with Grey finding and using Model Z.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Brings back several of the Guardians from first game since they mysteriously vanished in the second.