In this adaptation of Pups Save a Friend, Marshall performs his biggest blunder ever, which causes the other pups to insult Marshall for real. After they discover that Marshall has run away, the pups try to get him back to apologize while remembering all the times Marshall has been there for them. Meanwhile, Marshall tries to make it to Jake's mountain, but faces serious dangers along the way.
The story is a tribute to the author's favorite character, Marshall, as well as a slightly more serious take on the PAW Patrol's history and the pup's backstories.
Can be read here.
The sequel, called "Everest Gone Missing", features the Paw Patrol team going to look for Everest who runs away after a wolf attack specifically aimed at her. It can be read here.
This PAW Patrol Fan Fic provides examples of:
- Alpha Bitches: Tina the golden retriever and Bebe the poodle who bullied Skye in the past.
- Ambiguously Christian: Marshall when he spreads the gospel of "Puppy Heaven" to Chase after his father's funeral during a flashback in Chapter 6.
- Berserk Button: The ONLY thing that will get a pup as sweet as Rubble mad is preventing him from seeing the Apollo the Superpup cartoon.
- Also, Ryder nearly loses it when he finds out about the hurtful things the pups said to Marshall.
- In Rocky's flashback, Butch, Crash and Sharper stamp on one for Ryder and Chase when it's revealed that not only did they beat up Rocky but they also called Zuma retarded for his speech impediment.
- Big "NO!": Rubble when Marshall is declared deceased.
- Blood Brothers: Marshall and Chase with a slightly morbid context of Marshall promising not to die before Chase.
- Break the Cutie: Marshall is the main receiver of throughout the course of the story.
- The other pups, (sans Everest) are also broken when Marshall is declared deceased, and earlier on, they take the news of their words driving Marshall away very badly.
- Crystal Puppy Jesus: Marshall's description of Puppy Heaven.
- Darker and Edgier: Expect to see violence, blood, and death in this story.
- Death Wail: Chase gives a gut wrenching one in Chapter 7. What makes it worse is that the author makes sure to differentiate it from a Howl of Sorrow.
- Despair Event Horizon: Chase nearly sails right over it twice, first in the flashback of his father's funeral and again after Marshall's funeral.
- Disney Death: Marshall in Chapter 6.
- Dog Stereotype: Used for Bebe, an OC that's a poodle. But strongly subverted for Tina, an OC golden retriever.
- Easily Forgiven: Marshall, in spite of all the pain he went through.Blaze: He was going to forgive you all no matter what. (Laughs) That's just how Marshall is.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Marshall's reaction to Chase calling him an annoyance. It's even worse in the context of them being Blood Brothers.
- Furry Reminder: When Chase gets confrontational at Everest's "The Reason You Suck" Speech, Ryder's command of "Heel!" makes him stand down, albeit with a distressed whine.
- G-Rated Sex: Averted - Skye affectionately rubbed her muzzle against Chase in the last chapter.
- Gang of Bullies / Terrible Trio: Butch, Crash, and Sharper; who beat up Rocky during a flashback.
- Happily Adopted: Rocky lived in an orphanage before Ryder took him into the PAW Patrol.
- Heroic BSoD: Chase after Marshall is declared deceased.
- Howl of Sorrow: Chase when he discovers that Marshall ran away because of how he and the pups treated him.
- Legally Dead / Not Enough to Bury: Marshall. This leads the pups to assume the worst, though he turns out fine (if barely).
- Made of Explodium / Every Car Is a Pinto: Marshall's fire truck - it exploded quite easily in comparison to modern cars in Real Life.
- Mood Whiplash: In-universe example. Skye has perked up from her funk after Marshall broke the TV upon realizing what a nice day it is and decides to ask Ryder if she can go flying. Only when she gets there, Ryder starts yelling at her, much to her obvious confusion and distress.
- My God, What Have I Done?: All the pups' (sans Everest) reaction when they realized that they made Marshall run away.
- Never Found the Body: Chase uses this a reason for not believing Marshall is dead at the firetruck's crash site. They later find his bloodied collar, and assume that he really is dead.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: While no one dies, Marshall and Chase engage each other in one to vent, much to Skye, Zuma, Rubble, and Rocky's horror. Blaze intervenes when the other four try to diffuse the situation.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Although all the other pups (sans Everest) make their anger and frustrations with Marshall clear, Chase and Skye are the ones to verbally attack Marshall directly.
- Revenge: Chase and Skye kill a bear when they think it ate Marshall.
- Ship Tease: Blaze says to Everest that she has his permission to marry his son, welcoming her into the family, much to both pups' chagrins.
- Toilet Humor: In addition to the two original screw ups Marshall caused in the actual episode, the fic starts off with Marshall accidentally peeing on a squirrel.
- True Companions: What all the pups and Ryder consider the team to be. Zuma cements it when he mentally places all of the other pups as siblings in his head with Ryder as the "dad" and comes to the realization that the entire team (their "family") was hurt when they chased off Marshall.
- Unstoppable Rage: Chase vs the bear.
- Was Too Hard on Him: The pups after Marshall runs away.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Ryder's reaction to the pups when he finds out what they said to Marshall via a video chat with him. Skye ends up getting the brunt of it, but she was one of the pups who tore into Marshall the most.
- And later on Everest gives a brief one to Chase when the pups arrive at Jake's cabin where Marshall is resting after she and Jake saved him.
- And after that Marshall gives a scathing and well deserved one to the other pups.