A My Little Pony 'n Friends / My Little Pony Tales / My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic My Little Pony Crossover fanfic by Jordan179 set in the middle of the 20th century YOM (Year Of Megan), decades before the birth of the Mane Seven and over four millennia before the birth of the Mane Six When world is on the brink of war, and only the brilliance and courage of an unlikely group of Science Heroes working for the Manehattan Project can prevent global destruction.
In the YOM 1938, Sweetie Finemare and Schwarzwald Fuchs are two of the scientists working on the Amareican Manehattan Project, a secret government program to develop atomic weapons and energy. When the bomb is tested, unknown to the scientists it allows the admission of three Cosmic Concepts into our reality to limited incarnation — Celestia and Luna as the unborn foals of Sweetie Finemare, and Discord as the spirit possessing Schwarzwald Fuchs.
Tropes that will never be the same after the invention of the atomic bomb by sapient technicolor Ponies include:
- Alternate History: Though the Pony world of the 20th century YOM is based off that of the Human world of the 20th century AD, there are some significant differences, mostly due to the fact that the Ponies are a more peaceful race than Humans.
- The world has avoided global warfare since the end of their analogue of The Napoleonic Wars. World War I was evidently averted, and the equivalent of World War II is averted by Amareica's development of the atomic bomb. The Nork War, in which Moondreamer's husband Dusk Skyshine is wounded in Thirty Seconds over To-ki-rin, is the first serious war Amareica has fought since the equivalent of the Spanish-American War.
- Because many Ponies thus lived whose Human analogues would have perished in those wars, technology is somewhat more advanced: for instance, the atomic bomb is developed by 1938 and nuclear fusion reactors by the 1960's. As discussed in A Meeting By Moonlight, only their relative lack of initiative stops the Ponies from colonizing the Solar System in the late 20th century YOM.
- Bath Suicide: How Nurse Raindew kills herself.
- Blood Is Squicker in Water: How Blackie Fuchs finds the corpse of Nurse Raindew.
- Determined Widow: Sweetie Finemare pursues her scientific career and raises two little fillies alone after the death of her first husband.
- Deus ex Nukina: The Trinity test tears a tiny hole in spacetime, which let Celestia, Luna and Discord enter the mortal realm.
- Evil Plan: Discord means to bring down the high civilization of the Age of Wonders in ruins.
- Expy: Numerous ones, Ponified versions of historical scientists and other characters include:
- Heel Realization: Averted. D feels bad when Nurse Raindew kills herself, but he decides that this is because he is being corrupted by Schwarzwalder Fuchs' equinity
- Heroine Of Another Story: After her death, Nurse Raindew's soul is gathered in by the Cosmic Concept of which it had been a facet ... Kindness. In other words, Nurse Raindew was an earlier Incarnation of the same being who would later manifest as Fluttershy.
- Ignored Epiphany: D comes close to realizing that Celestia was right about the potential of Ponykind when he muses over Nurse Raindew's death, but he refuses to admit this to himself.
- I Love Nuclear Power: Horribly averted — Sweetie's under-shielded radium-based quantum-mechanical experiment that she and her One True Love Rich Greentree perform in 1936 leads to his developing cancer by 1938 and dying at age 25 in 1940.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Sweetie Finemare kills her beloved husband Rich Greentree by opiate injection rather than let him die in agony from cancer.
- Mercy Kill: How Sweetie ends her first husband's torment by cancer.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sweetie's reaction to realizing that her own youthful recklessness has cost her beloved husband his life.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Sweetie Finemare and Rich Greentree ceratinly both think so, especially in regard to each other.
- Nice Girl: Nurse Raindew, unfortunately for herself. Lampshaded by D:If you had been merely using niceness as a strategy, you could have broken it off before the effort to please me destroyed you, he mused. Your own goodness destroyed you.
- Science Hero: Both played straight and Averted. Sweetie and the other scientists on the Project are Science Heroes, but the world is not being written for their convenience, and audacious daring does not always lead to happy consquences.
- Sufficiently Advanced Alien: Discord, from Schwarzwald Fuchs' point of view.You may call me D. The Voice almost purred with amusement, like some sort of large and dangerous cat. And yes, to both your questions as to my nature. I am what you ponies would once have called a demon and Im certainly not from around here, so Im also an alien. Does that put your mind at ease?
- Superweapon Surprise: Amareica averts the outbreak of war by inviting representatives of the aggressor states to their equivalent of the Trinity Test in 1938. The Leader of Lippanzer is assassinated by his own generals, and the Mikkado of Neigh-Pon carries out a coup from above against the military junta.
- Their First Time: Sweetie's and Rich's first time, both with each other and ever for both of them, takes place in a science lab next to their dangerously-undershrielded radium-powered quantum-mechanical experiment.
- Widow's Weeds: Sweetie is wearing these in Chapter 3, at her husband's funeral.Sweetie Finemare stood unmoving by the headstone. Her body was draped in an all-concealing black dress. It was a very unattractive dress, even by Sweetie's eccentric standards: rather sacklike and coming down in back to below her hocks. Its only concessions to femininity were a belt gathering the garment together well forward, and some black lace trimming about the collar. But then, Sweetie wasn't feeling very feminine right now.Her outfit included a large, broad-brimmed hat, from which depended a totally-obscuring veil. This was also traditional, and, in her present state, Sweetie rather approved of the main effect of this veil, which enabled her to see out into the well-lit day, but ensured that nopony could see her expression. Or any tears.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: The teenaged Sweetie imagines she's the heroine of a 1930's pulp Science Fiction adventure story. While the genre she's in is Science Fantasy, it's also a Darker and Edgier story than she imagines, and when she tries to cut corners on radiation shielding, the consequences are tragic.