"“Then let him break. If that’s all he’s worth, then I have three spares to try again. If that happens, then the collar is yours to keep.."
— Baron Draxum
Leo is captured by Baron Draxum while on a pizza run, he's collared with Donnie's gift for him which was modified by Draxum to shock Leo when he makes any sound or disobeys any order.
Like Father Like Son by eternalglitch is a Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fanfic.
It has over 100,000 words over 25 chapters and is currently being updated as of November 2022.
This work contains examples of:
- Armor-Piercing Response:
- In answer to Leo's question as to why Draxum thinks he's the biggest failure of his brothers:Draxum: Were you not listening? I gave you all roles, advantages for the battlefield, and yet you... You aren't filling your role at all, are you? You were meant to be the leader...
- In chapter 24, Mikey asks Leo to write his name and Leo instead writes "green".
- In answer to Leo's question as to why Draxum thinks he's the biggest failure of his brothers:
- Back from the Dead: Leo, by Donnie using the shock collar to restart his heart.
- Batman Gambit: Mikey when he offers to join Draxum in order to get strong like Leo, hoping that Draxum would accept, which he does.
- Break the Cutie: Leo, often the Chew Toy and or the Butt-Monkey in the Rise fandom, is forced to fight in the Battle Nexus, kill yokai, harm humans, and attack his brothers and any trespasser of Draxum's lab resulting in him becoming an Empty Shell of his former self.
- Cerebus Retcon:
- The shock collar Donnie gives Leo in Donnie's Gifts was, while morally questionable, ultimately used as a gag. Here it's used as one of the main sources of Leo's trauma once Draxum forcibly attaches it to him.
- While the Battle Nexus is a gladiator ring and one of the sources of Splinter's trauma in canon, it's very rarely played seriously within the show itself. Here it's treated as the deadly blood sport it's claimed to be by the characters in the show.
- While canon outright states Draxum originally intended the turtles to be his soldiers against the humans he believed were endangering Yokai-kind, he quickly abandons this plan once it becomes clear they have no intention of working with him. Here he decides to go through with his plan, and targets Leonardo specifically.
- Darker and Edgier: While Rise has its dark moments, the themes of this fic are significantly darker and taken more seriously than what the show presents.
- Death Is a Sad Thing: Inverted and lampshaded. After Leo dies S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N doesn't understand what's wrong and Donnie realizes he's never had to explain death to him.
- Distressed Dude: Leo is being kept prisoner for the vast majority of the fic.
- Everyone Has Standards:
- Big Mama refuses to have Leo fight until Leo recovers from his injuries from his fight with Draxum.
- Huginn and Muninn both have a Conscience Makes You Go Back moment about how Draxum has hurt Leo and decide to help the Hamatos rescue Leo.
- Heroic BSoD:
- Leo after losing hope of rescue after the family failed to rescue him in chapter 14 and especially after his blue mask is burned and he accepts his new identity of Green
- Donnie in chapter 15 after realizing that his tech was responsible for Leo's disappearance after seeing his tech on Leo
- It's All My Fault:
- Raph blames himself for not picking up his phone when Leo called him for help while being kidnapped
- Donnie blames himself for building the shock collar in the first place
- Let's You and Him Fight: Defied by Raph in chapter 21 with him refusing to fight Leo in Baron Draxum's lair by hugging him instead.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero:
- In chapter 2, Leo is sent on a solo pizza run by his brothers after he loses a game of straws. This leaves him vulnerable to abduction.
- Also in chapter 2, Raph left his phone on silent mode because he and the others are watching a movie, which prevented Leo's distress call from getting noticed.
- Donnie making a shock collar back in the episode Donnie's Gifts comes back to bite him when it's repurposed as a torture device to use against Leo.
- Significant Name Shift: Splinter stops calling his sons by their color coded nicknames after Leo wrote that his name was Green.
- Surprisingly Realistic Outcome: In chapter 2, Draxum flings Leo and he collides into a metal billboard. This leaves him noticeably stunned and the next chapter outright confirms he has a concussion from it.
- Take That!: In chapter 2, among the groups from Leo's narration regarding "the weirdest things New York had to offer" is flat-earthers.
- That Man Is Dead: Leo mourns that the Leo that had dreamed of getting home never could because that Leo was dead and Green was all that was left.
- Trapped in Villainy: Leo is forced to harm and mutate humans during Arc III: The Weapon.
- Trauma Button: Leo in chapter 24 after S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N makes a beeping sound that reminds him of the beeping sound that preempted the shock collar going off, looking for the source at the first beep and preparing for pain at the second beep.