Ten years ago, a four-year old Izuku Midoriya sobbed in the pouring rain as he was held hostage with a razor-sharp propeller blade to his throat by a villain named Blade, who demanded a gun and safe passage out of Musutafu.
The same day, it appeared.
A flash of green light and an explosion of dust heralded the arrival of a massive, serpentine beast that would later be called the Leviathan. It rampaged through the streets, flattening buildings and killing thirty-two people. It vanished as suddenly as it appeared, never to be seen again. The police force searched for months to find the origin of this monster, since no registered Quirk users were known to have such a power. But, after months of searching, they gave up, clinging to the hope that it had somehow moved on or that they would never have to face it again.
In the present, Izuku Midoriya has a useless aesthetic Quirk that gives him fins on the sides of his head. Or at least, that's what he wants everyone to think. Every day is an uphill battle for him to keep the monster inside of him under control. He goes about his life meekly attempting to avoid conflict, squashing his emotions to keep the Leviathan from gaining any traction even as he's tormented for being weak. But no secret can be kept forever. And one day the truth will emerge.
And when it does his world will come crashing down.
Leviathan is a My Hero Academia Fanfic posted on Archive of Our Own. It follows a similar vein to Daymare, which popularized a stream of stories with the premise, "What if Izuku had a Quirk that made him a monster?" Featuring a very different take on our freckled young hero, it follows Izuku's desire to become a hero even as a literal monster within him battles him for control, weighing him down with the guilt of what it has done and the fear of having it released or revealed to the world at large. It doesn't always take itself seriously though, with one of the tags literally being, "I can't believe it's not crack".
It can be read here.
Beware of unmarked spoilers.
Leviathan features examples of:
- 20 Minutes into the Future: Like in canon, the series takes place at a time almost indistinguishable from the present aside from the obvious rise in superheroism and supervillainy. Unlike in canon, Fergalicious is mentioned to be 200 years old.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: When Izuku's Quirk first manifested, he killed thirty-two people in his rampage, horrifying him and prompting These Hands Have Killed for a four year old.
- Adaptational Early Appearance: Mirio Togata, who canonically doesn't appear until much later in canon, steps in to stop a conflict between Bit and a random stranger after Bit's attempts to test his lightsaber ended up burning the man's hair off. Mirio had watched the Entrance Exam and congratulates Izuku for his performance during it.
- Togata later introduces Izuku to Amajiki and Hadou after the Heroes vs. Villains exercise, again, long before they appear in canon proper.
- Adapted Out: Like a lot of My Hero Academia fanfics, Mineta is completely absent in favor of bringing in Hitoshi Shinsou.
- Adult Fear:
- Ever since Izuku first became the Leviathan, he's disappeared on more than one occasion, sometimes for hours and once or twice for days, leaving his mother frantic.
- After the USJ, Izuku is found even more horrifically injured than Aizawa. According to the Tsukauchi, the boy almost died.
- A kid's bully finally goes too far with the Bully Brutality and nearly kills his regular target. Only the spontaneous creation of gills saves Izuku from drowning, and even then his most energetic pleas don't completely stop the following bout of Surprisingly Realistic Outcome for Bakugou, who is now feared and loathed by the whole campus.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Izuku's is almost self-inflicted, allowing Katsuki to mock and bully him for years since retaliation would risk letting the Leviathan out and showing off more of his powers would help others connect the dots. Sure enough, the rest of the class followed suit, loudly calling him "frilly little Izuku" and that he'd only get killed by the Entrance Exam. Kirishima is both bewildered and horrified by the fact that Izuku is used to this treatment.
- Always a Bigger Fish: The Leviathan is treated as this to the Noumu, with the Noumu being compared to a monster from Nightmares then the Leviathan was born in Hell.
- Ambiguously Brown: Bit is rather tan despite being ostensibly Japanese. It helps that he's constantly near the beach looking for scraps though.
- Animal Motif: Given the nature of his Quirk, it's only natural that Izuku's is a dragon, which is reflecting in the scale patterns on his hero costume, the Hellish Pupils of his LED visor, and his mouthguard, which features a snarling dragon's maw instead of a toothy smile like his canon counterpart. He also gets associated with lizards and other reptiles due to what he tries to pass off his Quirk as.
- Animal-Themed Superbeing: Izuku is Type 3, turning into a massive dragon if he were to somehow lose control of his emotions.
- The Atoner: Rather than simply wanting to help people, Izuku also wants to atone for the fact that he killed people as the Leviathan, though he doesn't dare tell anyone this.
- Audience Surrogate: When he's not busy being Crazy Awesome, Bit frequently says things that many of members of the story's readership would, like calling U.A. "Overkill Academy" for its over-the-top exams and teachers.
- Bad Powers, Good People: The Leviathan is an engine of destruction who would like nothing more than to simply wreck everything around it. Izuku might be snarkier and more cynical than his canon counterpart due to the stress of keeping the Leviathan contained, but he still genuinely wants to help people and be a hero.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Izuku and Hitoshi become relatively fast friends despite Hitoshi's usual aloofness and bitterness due to Izuku's constant attempts to help him at no benefit to himself. It also helps that like in canon, Izuku only sees the potentially positive and heroic aspects of Hitoshi's Brainwashing Quirk, rather than the more obvious villainous uses.
- The Big Race: Aizawa's test takes the form of this trope in this story, being an obstacle course that has the students navigating their way past giant robots, moving buildings, and other hazards while trying to get to the finish line.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Blade's Quirk allows him to turn his hands into razor sharp propeller blades that can rotate rapidly.
- Brainwashing for the Greater Good: Played with. Izuku attempts to pass off his injuries and overexertion he sustained while helping Hitoshi during Aizawa's exam as nothing to be concerned with. Hitoshi doesn't buy it for a second, using his Brainwashing Quirk to force Izuku to let him help, but this has no long-term side effects like most examples of this trope.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Izuku's lightning breath annihilates the zero-pointer robot, but it also scorches his face, neck, and upper body, leaving him charred black and in crippling pain as he falls to the ground, with only quick intervention from both Uraraka and Recovery Girl saving his life.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Izuku blindly runs in to save Katsuki from Blade even though his survival instincts were screaming at him to just walk away, unwillingly transforming as he rabidly attacks Blade before escaping, only barely remembering what exactly happened before waking up covered in gashes and his own blood. He also rushes in to save Ochako from the zero-pointer, just like in canon, and goes on to help Hitoshi at no benefit to himself during Aizawa's test.Hitoshi: Why would you help me?
Izuku: [with pleading eyes] Why not?
- Civvie Spandex: Shinsou's costume is just a stylized purple hoodie with spikes running down the center of the hood, a faceguard, and speakers (presumably for projecting his voice to give commands and get responses).
- Color Motif: Izuku's is still green. Green hair, green scales, green claws, green eyes, green hero costume e.t.c.
- Combo Platter Powers: The lizard-like nature of Izuku's Quirk allows him to perceive and respond to heat signatures, making it easier for him to dodge. By controlling his transformation, Izuku can gain curved claws, razor-sharp teeth, a prehensile tail and lizard-like scales. He also gains enhanced strength and agility that allows him to climb straight up walls by digging his claws into them and renders him too fast for most people to track or take pictures of him, which helps keep the nature of his powers a secret. The scales that cover his skin can also deflect small shrapnel and debris, bouncing off him harmlessly. That said, he's not quite a Lightning Bruiser, since his claws barely even scratch U.A.'s robots and said robots can overpower him relatively easily. Also, he can still be cut with a sufficiently sharp blade. When it progresses even further, he gains an ear-splitting screech powerful enough to blast the Sludge Villain off of him. He also doubts his ability to take on Iida in the Hero vs. Villains training exercise, with his strategy consisting mostly of running away to lead Iida into a trap while abusing Iida's inability to steer around tight corners because Izuku can't outrun him on a straight path. Then he learns he has lightning breath powerful enough to reduce the zero-pointer robot into a flaming pile of scrap. Later still, in response to being drowned, he manifests chest lining gills.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: Izuku knows that if he ever lets his transformation progress far enough, everyone will know who the Leviathan is, hence he fakes being totally weak and helpless to keep that risk to a minimum. The transformation also helps him somewhat, since he's difficult to recognize if his transformation has progressed far enough, keeping his identity a secret if no one sees him transform. That said, this has started to fail somewhat, since he was caught on camera (albeit as a blur) and he has actively started using his Quirk as a member of U.A.'s Hero Course.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Izuku's lightning breath can cause tremendous damage, easily destroying the zero-point robot during the Entrance Exam. But it also chars his face, throat, neck, and lips black and leaves him in crippling pain. This keeps him from using it again against the robots during Aizawa's exam.
- Deadly Dodging: While not actually deadly, Tsuyu makes Bakugo and Todoroki attack each other during a mock battle by dodging their attacks in a way that causes them to hit the other.
- Deadpan Snarker: Izuku has developed this as part of his coping mechanism for keeping his emotions in check.Katsuki: Well see whos a waste of time when youre wasting away on the ground, Deku.
Izuku: [internally] Great, looking forward to it!
- The Dreaded: The Leviathan leaves everyone who sees it paralyzed in fear. Even a partial transformation is able to make hardened, remorseless killers like Blade and the Sludge Villain shit bricks, while Pro Heroes and police officers just freeze in terror until Izuku leaves.
- Draconic Humanoid: When Izuku has control of his transformation, he's this, gaining scales and fins all over his body as well as a dragon-like tail.◊ If the transformation continues, his legs mutate to become more reptilian, akin to a raptor-like dinosaur, giving him enhanced speed and maneuverability.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Leviathan is an enormous monster with six arms, six legs, teeth the size of a human arm, and dozens of eyes, and this is when Izuku is four, information on the Authors Tumblr account says current Teenage Izuku is 85 metres in full Leviathan form. It lets out an earsplitting, inhuman scream that leaves Pro Heroes frozen in fear. If you want more imagery, here's some◊ featured◊ fan art◊ depicting the Leviathan.◊
- Enemy Within: The Leviathan has its own consciousness, constantly hissing and roaring to get out whenever Izuku's control of his emotions lapses.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Izuku has these after he has one of his recurring nightmares. But he's even more exhausted after one of his nightmares is different from the previous ones.
- Extreme Mêlée Revenge: After Bakugou tries to drown him during a combat simulation, Izuku responds by blasting him and the ceiling above him with his Breath Weapon.
- Fan Boy: Izuku is still a superhero Otaku and meeting All Might caused him to hyperventilate so badly that he nearly turned into the Leviathan after realizing he had All Might's signature.
- Foil: Izuku and Hitoshi both considered their Quirk as inherently villainous yet strived to make a positive difference by applying the U.A. to become heroes. Once there, they met people who see positive aspects to their powers they never considered.
- For Want of a Nail: Izuku never latches onto All Might's leg due to a combination of his lingering apprehension about the Leviathan and his own overexcitement over meeting his lifelong idol. Hence he never learns All Might's secret and the Sludge Villain stays captured.
- Hitoshi Shinsou is in 1-A rather than the General Ed course and is pitted with Iida against Izuku and Ochako (who are on the Villain Team) instead of Katsuki during the Heroes vs. Villains exercise. Similarly, Katsuki is instead paired with Shouto for the same exercise.
- Freakiness Shame: Izuku hates his scar and Quirk because they make him feel like a freak or a monster. On the other hand, Kirishima actually likes these qualities, calling Izuku's scar "manly" and admiring the fact that they both have razor sharp teeth, which both surprises and comforts Izuku. But even this doesn't stop Izuku from ordering a visor that would hide the scar on his face while he's in costume, though he still doesn't tell this to anyone.
- From Bad to Worse: The USJ incident happens as planned but the Noumu is ordered to go after Izuku and the Leviathan gets out.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Bit can make anything from the scraps he finds on the beach. Be they grappling hook canisters or lightsabers. If he wants to build it, he will build it. But he does suffer from a few... setbacks. Like his first drone built from a car engine, which exploded and took the mailbox with it.Izuku: [hauling scrap] What do you need this for anyway?
Bit: Multi-purpose drone.
Izuku: I- What would you need a multi-purpose drone for?
Bit: You never know.
- Genki Guy: Bit is cheery, non-judgmental, and basically does anything he wants because it interests him.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When Izuku begins to completely lose control of his Quirk, his eyes begin to glow radioactive green.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Izuku praises Hitoshi's Compelling Voice, which can force Villains to peacefully surrender or defuse hostage situations without an issue. This leaves Hitoshi baffled, because up to that point his Quirk has always been thought of as a Villain's Quirk.
- Heavy Sleeper: Izuku can apparently sleep through one of Present Mic's shouts.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Due to his Quirk, Izuku hardly thinks of himself as human, perpetually putting himself down and questioning why a random person would try to save his life when he's bleeding out on the ground. It gets so bad that he considers intentionally flunking Aizawa's exam so someone who is more "deserving" of the Hero Course spot would have it.
- Heroic Willpower: When the Leviathan gets loose during the villain attack on the USJ, Izuku manages to keep it from eating Hitoshi.
- Honor Before Reason: Even with the threat of the Leviathan inside of him, Izuku's heroic instincts scream at him to do something when someone is in trouble or needs help even when it would be logically unsound, like going back to help Shinsou in the middle of an exam that could get him expelled if he's in last place. He also complains after his match with Shinsou that it wasn't fair because Izuku already learned about Shinsou's Quirk before hand, so there wasn't an even distribution of information. Shinsou calls him confusing for this.
- In Spite of a Nail: Even though the Sludge Villain stays captured this time around, Bakugou still ends up being held hostage by a Villain.
- In the Hood: Izuku's Hero Costume includes a small cape and a hood, while Hitoshi's is simply a hoodie.
- Innocently Insensitive:
- Bit occasionally makes a remark that leaves Izuku uncomfortable, such as asking how things are going at "murder school" shortly after Bakugou almost drowned Izuku during an exercise, but is observant enough to quickly change the subject without making it obvious.
- In chapter 14, Uraraka and Iida talk about a villain attack that destroyed a good portion of the neighborhood, not realizing that Izuku (who's at the table with them) was the one who did the deed.
- Intelligible Unintelligible: Izuku is able to interpret the Leviathan's roars to an extent, taking its advice to use a tail when left with few other options during his fight with Shinsou.
- It Amused Me: Bit runs on this. If something sounds interesting to make or do, he'll make or do it. No questions asked about its applicability or when he would ever need these things. You can basically boil down his motivations to do anything to two words: Just because.Izuku: Can I ask why you made a grappling hook out of a Pringles can?
Bit: Why not?
Izuku: ...Thats not...
- Jack-of-All-Stats: While his legs are fully transformed, Izuku is fast, but not as fast as Iida. His claws give him mobility and considerable offensive ability against humans, but he still doesn't hold a candle to Bakugou or Todoroki. His scales can protect him from minor scratches and shrapnel, but he's nowhere near as tough as Kirishima. His ability to detect heat signatures helps him dodge attacks more easily, but it's not as great for scanning as Jirou's Earphone Jacks.
- Mama Bear: Inko has to be talked out of suing U.A. after their negligence nearly gets Izuku killed.
- Metaphorically True: Due to having to to hide the fine details of his Quirk, Izuku has become a master of telling partial truths and "technically true" statements, telling people things that are definitely true, but leaving out important context that would change peoples' view of him or tip off the true nature of his Quirk. That said, he's also something of a Bad Liar, since the tone of his voice gives away his desperation to hide something, which most people (thankfully) don't press him on.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Izuku acts more and more feral the more he uses his Quirk. He's reduced to a snarling, drooling mess who's barely conscious after his fear of death overcomes his senses when the Sludge Villain attacked him. He also rabidly lunges at Blade while partially transformed, squirming and convulsing on the ground after getting his face slashed while hissing in pain. This is both a blessing and a curse, keeping his identity hidden after he loses control but also making that much more dangerous when he loses control in an especially sensitive situation (like being in front of his lifelong idol).
- Momma's Boy: Just like in canon, Izuku is very close to his mother, doing everything he can to avoid worrying her. After he's away from home for over a week after a villain attack, he comes home to find her exhausted with huge bags under her eyes, only recovering after she finally lays eyes on him again and freaking out over his new facial scar.
- Mundane Fantastic: Izuku eventually becomes so used to his reptilian traits that it feels weird when he reverts his claws back to human hands.
- Mundane Utility: Bit uses his Quirk (which turns him into a human battery) to charge people's phones for 500 yen apiece.
- My Greatest Failure: Izuku is determined to prevent a repeat incident of what happened when his Quirk first awakened. The event has defined virtually all of his behavior ever since.
- My Suit Is Also Super: Izuku's◊ Hero Costume◊ is designed with "self-healing fabric", allowing it to return to its original shape after he's finished using his Quirk, lest he constantly leave it in tatters with his claws, fins, tail, and scales poking through it. It also features fingerless gloves to allows his claws to manifest with coarse palms to make climbing easier.
- Nice Guy: He may be snarky and secretive, but deep down he's still the same Izuku who dreams of becoming a Hero and tries his best to be of help to anyone who needs it.
- The Nicknamer: Bit is also this, calling Izuku anything from "Beach Boy" (due to finding Izuku bleeding out on the beach) to "Lizard Boy" (for obvious reasons), to simply "Mido" (a truncated version of Izuku's surname).
- Nightmare Face: Even a partial transformation into the Leviathan was enough to scare the everloving crap out of the Sludge Villain after it inadvertently made Izuku lose his handle on his powers, causing the Sludge Villain to slink away in horror. Here's some art◊ that lovingly portrays just how freaky Izuku's face can be.Sludge Villain: Dont go near it! I- I tried to possess some kid and they turned into- that thing, it- its not human!
- Noodle Incident: Bit apparently once snuck out in the middle of the night to test a "firework gun".
- One-Way Visor: Izuku's Hero Costume features goggles with light up LED lenses to resemble Hellish Pupils. He specifically ordered them to hide his scar, but they don't hinder his vision enough for him to complain.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Compared to Ryukyu's western dragon, Izuku's Leviathan is more akin to a serpent like Jormungandr or a Chinese dragon, being snake-like with dozens of eyes and six legs. It can swim through the air to fly and flattens buildings with its tail. It's also a raging berserker that destroys everything around it, causing Izuku to do everything he can to keep it contained, but he can leak parts of it out to use its powers in a controlled manner. Then there's his lightning breath.
- Original Character: Aki "Bit" Okyoita, a grey-haired Gadgeteer Genius around Izuku's age with a fondness for old Western pop culture who ends up being his best friend until he gets to U.A. There's also Blade, a repeat offender villain who loves taking people hostage and kicked off the plot of the story by scaring Izuku to the point that his Quirk manifested.
- Painful Transformation: The more he allows the transformation to progress, the less control he has over it, and holding onto his consciousness is described as being akin to trying to hold onto grains of sand, leaving him snarling and foaming at the mouth when he's approaching the point of no return. Then there's the physical aspects of the transformation, lovingly illustrated here. Thankfully, Izuku usually manages to keep the worst of it at bay, feeling a prickling and icy sensation when his scales, claw, and tail manifest rather than the sheer mental anguish that comes with going all the way.
- Plagued by Nightmares: Izuku suffers from these fairly frequently, having a particular Nightmare Sequence that he's very familiar with. It consists of him being all alone while clinging to a streetlight on a dark, foggy night as the Leviathan looks him dead in the eyes and roars. Normally, he's able to comfort himself with the fact that it was All Just a Dream. But Izuku has a different nightmare the night after Aizawa's test, in which Blade stumbles towards him as an eviscerated walking cadaver that's falling apart at the seams, as if to remind Izuku of the fact that he has killed people, before the Leviathan barrels towards Izuku and swallows him whole. It turns eerily prophetic when Izuku starts flipping through the news channels and finds that Blade has escaped custody, causing Izuku to run to the bathroom and vomit in disgust and terror.
- Power Incontinence: The single driving force behind the story is Izuku's struggle to keep the Leviathan under wraps even though he has to rely on its powers to achieve his dream of becoming a hero.
- Power-Strain Blackout: All the effort Izuku put into maintaining his consciousness after allowing himself to transform to escape from the Sludge Villain made him blackout.
- Psychoactive Powers: Izuku keeps a lid on the Leviathan by keeping his own emotions in check. If he's relatively calm, the Leviathan remains dormant for the most part. If he feels a strong emotion, like anger, fear, or excitement, his control lapses, causing him to start transforming. Using his Quirk in a controlled manner is a balancing act between his lows and highs to allow his powers to remain useful while also preventing himself from turning into the Leviathan.
- Put on a Bus: Katsuki is given a one month suspension and transferred to a different class, effectively removing him from the story until at least the Sports Festival.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Bit is cheerful, ridiculously straightforward, outgoing, and friendly. Izuku is demure, secretive, angsty, and terribly shy. Bit has a Quirk ill-suited for combat (he's a living rechargeable battery), while Izuku's eventually turns him into The Berserker and an Eldritch Abomination.
- Scaled Up: Izuku's Quirk does this to him, turning him into a grotesque serpent the size of a building with six arms and legs if he doesn't keep a handle on it. He can literally cover his body with scales while retaining his human shape once his control begins to improve.
- Scars Are Forever: Izuku gets a deep, diagonal scar that "cleaves his face in half" after another encounter with a Villain. He hates it since he knows it draws attention to him, but Kirishima tells him that it makes Izuku look manly.
- Shout-Out: Although all of the characters are Japanese, Bit, and to a lesser extent Izuku, are well-acquainted with Western pop culture. Izuku recognizes Bit humming "All-Star" by Smash Mouth as well as "Fergalicious" by Fergie even though both songs are several hundred years old by the time of the story. Izuku also mentions James Bond while questioning the functionality of Bit's grappling hook canister, while Bit cites Star Wars as the inspiration for making a lightsaber, which Mirio also happens to be familiar with.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Izuku swears a lot more than his canon counterpart. Given everything he's put through, it's hard to blame him.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Bit wears glasses and is a Gadgeteer Genius.
- Socially Awkward Hero: Izuku is even more awkward than in canon because of his Quirk, feeling detached from others due to its monstrous nature and his own underlying self-loathing. Little things like people complementing him and simply being decent to him leave him struck with awe given his own opinion of himself.
- There's also Hitoshi, whose "villainous" Brainwashing Quirk made him feel similarly ostracized from his own peers, taking several minutes to realize that Izuku was waving to him at lunch to offer him a seat.
- Supernatural Fear Inducer: The Leviathan inspires terror in anyone who even hears it.
- Superpowered Evil Side: The Leviathan is extremely powerful, flattening buildings with ease, but is completely and utterly uncontrollable. Izuku can give himself specific traits of the beast by moderating his own emotions, but he's nowhere near as powerful as what a full transformation can do.
- Surprisingly Realistic Outcome:
- After Katsuki almost drowns Izuku, he's told that either he'll transfer to a different class and attend anger management classes during his one month suspension or he'll be expelled, with Izuku's testimony being the only thing that even allows that choice. Nedzu explains that the transfer is necessary as all of Katsuki's classmates hate and/or fear him after witnessing his actions.
- Inko is furious after hearing Izuku nearly died during an exercise and has to be talked out of suing the school and withdrawing Izuku.
- Sure, Let's Go with That: After his fight with Shinsou and Iida, Izuku is left with a bruised shoulder and a broken, dislocated hand. Uraraka asks him if he's okay, causing him to blurt out that he's felt worse pain than this before processing what he said and chastising himself for saying such a suspicious thing. She then assumes he means the time when he charred most of his upper body with his first use of his lightning breath, prompting Izuku to weakly nod.
- Tail Slap: The Leviathan causes massive damage with this during its first appearance, destroying a building and killing dozens of people in the process. Izuku also instinctively uses this while partially transformed due to his thick and powerful tail, but sufficiently tough villains like Blade can potentially shrug it off.
- Technicolor Lightning: Izuku can breath a burst of white lightning that glows green, as he discovered during the Entrance Exam.
- These Hands Have Killed: Aside from the monster inside of him, a great deal of Izuku's angst comes from the fact that the Leviathan killed thirty-two people in its first rampage, causing him to blame himself for the deaths and damage he caused while he had no control over his Quirk due to just manifesting it.
- Tranquil Fury: Aizawa is not pleased when All Might's second training exercise leads to Bakugou nearly drowning Midoriya while All Might had stepped away and wasn't present to put an immediate end to the test. Following that incident, he spends the rest of the exercise supervising and staring him down.
- Trauma Button: Izuku and Blade act as one for each other, though in Blade's case it's only when Izuku is in his partial or full Leviathan forms.
- Try Not to Die: When discussing Izuku's plans to escape from the hospital.
- Wall Crawl: Izuku's claws and enhanced strength and agility while partially transformed allow him to clamber up walls by digging his hands into the cracks in the cement. This isn't easy though and it leaves him covered in sweat.
- We ARE Struggling Together: Tsuyu beats Todoroki and Bakugo after her partner Kirishima is taken out of the fight by relying on their lack of teamwork to make them attack each other.
- Willfully Weak: Izuku is hesitant to use his abilities beyond a certain extent lest people start recognizing his Quirk's features as being similar to the Leviathan's.
- Wisdom from the Gutter: Downplayed. Despite not understanding most of Bit's gadgets, Izuku sometimes manages to come up with a solution to a technical problem Bit is having.