The series will consist of six main stories and one spin-off, and is written by Crit Fail and three assistants (Bellatrixshine, Magus1108 and PettyPunk), collectively known as the Hand of Despair. The main stories are as follows:
- A New Luck, which follows all 48 students from the three main canon games, as they are trapped in Hope's Peak Academy and forced into a Killing Game orchestrated by Monokuma;
- Tranquility Station (upcoming), which follows 16 OC students who were meant to be part of the 80th Class of Hope's Peak, as they are instead trapped in a killing game aboard a space station;
- Railway of Desolation (upcoming)
- Kuma-Kuma World (upcoming)
- Mansion of Monsters (upcoming)
- Rapture (upcoming)
The spin-off, Versailles Academy, follows 22 Elites from an 'upper-class' school getting pulled into a killing game. It is set in canon, but is not key to the main series' plot.
There is a Wikia page dedicated to the Legacy of Hope.
Spoilers from the actual game series will be unmarked.
- For Want of a Nail: This applies not just to the original Danganronpa game, but the original Legacy of Despair, since this is a reboot of it. Various changes are made that have slight impacts on the students, but create a domino effect for the long-term.
- The real Junko and Mukuro are both participants in the Killing Game along with all the other students, instead of Mukuro pretending to be Junko.
- Unlike in Legacy of Despair, forming teams and captains was stated in the rules to be a requirement, rather than an idea the students came up with. This leads to all the students, including the loners, being in a group immediately and for changes in the group roster to occur.
- In-Series Nickname: The Imposter is called Twogami by many of the other students.
- The Leader: At the start of the killing game the students are forced into 6 groups of 8 and need to elect captains, who will have the final say on most group decisions. The captains for each group are Kaede, The Imposter, Fuyuhiko, Sonia, Makoto, and Hajime.