After losing her friends due to the Anon-a-Miss incident, Sunset Shimmer falls into a self-destructive spiral. Haunted by her past and her peers hatred of her, Sunset decides to take her own life and end her troubles. However it doesn't end as quickly as she thought. She meets up with a pony she's never met before: Princess Luna. Princess Luna decides to show Sunset just what her suicide attempt has done to her former friends.
Last Light is a fanfic dealing with the Anon-a-miss incident in My Little Pony: Equestria Girls. It has a sequel called Passed On, which revolves around Twilight returning to the human world after she spoke with Sunset.
This fic and Passed On provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: Last Light takes place between Anon-a-Miss's start and the revelation of who Anon-a-miss really is. Sunset has stopped going to school and has fallen into a suicidal depression that leads to a suicide attempt after another poor interaction with her ex-friends.
- Betrayal Fic: The story is based on the Holiday Special issue and takes place prior to the CMC being revealed as the real Anon-a-Miss. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and the others have all betrayed Sunset as a result. Downplayed in that, though they dislike her, Rainbow and Rarity become worried about her well-being when realize how unkempt she looks.
- Bullied into Depression: Sunset Shimmer becomes the pariah of her high school after she's accused of being an online bully called Anon-a-Miss. She ends up stop going to school due to all the ostracism. Feeling like she has nowhere to go, Sunset ends up Driven to Suicide.
- The Bully: Most of the students at Sunset's school have turned on her and are bullying her.
- Dark Fic: The effects of the bullying caused by Anon-a-Miss take a heavy toll on Sunset's psyche, leaving her barely functional and suicidal. She tries to kill herself and succeeds.
- Downer Ending: Last Light ends with Sunset dying from her suicide attempt.
- Driven to Suicide: Feeling like things will never get better, Sunset Shimmer decides to kill herself.
- Interrupted Suicide: Subverted. Rainbow tries to stop Sunset from jumping but fails. Sunset ends up in a coma and, though it seems like she'll make it, she dies nevertheless.
- I Should Have Been Better: Rainbow blames herself the most for what happened, feeling that if she was a few seconds faster, she could have prevented Sunset from jumping. Twilight is unable to stay angry at Rainbow after learning how much of the incident seems permanently ingrained in her mind.
- Messy Hair: Due to her lack of self-care, Sunset's once bright hair is dirty. Her red and yellow hair looks brownish and orange.
- Mid-Suicide Regret: While comatose but in a dreamscape, Sunset regrets her suicide attempt. Her regret ultimately doesn't save her from internal bleeding.
- My God, What Have I Done?: All of the girls feel awful for bullying Sunset Shimmer into a suicide attempt. Rainbow feels the worst because she kicked Sunset out of the restaurant and she wasn't fast enough to stop her from jumping off the parking garage. The sequel has other characters, from Twilight, to Flash, to Princess Celestia, also feel this way.
- Oh My Gods!: Rarity says "dear gods".
- Painting the Medium: When Sunset starts fading partway through the story, the text becomes increasingly white/transparent, only to fade back into visibility as she pulls herself back. At the end of the story, it fades out again as Sunset dies, with the final lines essentially invisible.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Twilight gives pretty much everyone, including herself, one of these in various fits of grief-induced rage throughout Passed On.
- Self-Harm: Sunset cuts herself. This started prior to the Anon-a-Miss, due to her self-hatred following the Fall Formal incident, but got worse after the cyber-bullying started.
- Spoiler Title: The sequel fic being called Passed On makes it pretty obvious that Sunset died at the end of Last Light.
- Teens Are Monsters: Sunset is bullied by everyone in school. They send her negative messages on her phone and paint graffiti on her locker. Even her ex-friends bully her and kick her out of a fast food place.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Sunset Shimmer refuses to go back to Equestria. When Twilight invites Celestia to the human world in Passed On to see Sunset, Celestia is incredulous that Sunset wouldn't want to come back until Twilight calls her out on how little she seemed to care before this.Twilight: Because she was scared of you! She thought youd never let her come back! She thought you hated her! You were all she had! And after she ran away, you never even bothered to look for her! You said the mirror was dangerous and left her here anyway! What kind of message does that send? She hated herself s-so much, she thought you hated her so muchshe probably thought you wanted her to die here!