Last Call is a Steven Universe oneshot by malafight.
The story is set in a humanized Alternate Universe setting. In the middle of the night, Jasper's abusive ex-girlfriend, Lapis Lazuli, calls her. Lapis is too drunk to go back to her hotel, so she asks Jasper to give her a ride. Jasper reluctantly agrees, and is soon forced to confront a part of her past she'd rather leave behind.
Last Call provides examples of:
- Adaptation Species Change: The Gems are all humanized.
- Adaptational Heroism: Jasper is a lot more heroic here. In canon, Jasper was an overzealous soldier that goaded Lapis into fusing with her so they could take revenge on the Crystal Gems, only to be Hoist by Their Own Petard once Lapis turned the tables and took her frustration out on Jasper, Jasper trying to get Lapis to take her back after they unfused due to desiring the rush from fusing, but still remaining unchanged otherwise. Here, she's the victim to Lapis's emotional abuse, and while she does manage to eventually escape the relationship, she offers to help Lapis when she drunkenly calls her.
- Adaptational Villainy: While she was no saint, canon Lapis did take some pleasure in taking her anger out on Jasper, but she came to regret and become frightened by that behavior, and absolutely refused to associate with Jasper once they were unfused. Here, she is the instigator behind their abusive relationship and was both physically and emotionally abusive to Jasper. While she is a Troubled Abuser, her behavior is a far cry from her canon self.
- Alternate Universe Fic: All the characters are human, Jasper and Lapis are exes, and Jasper is dating Peridot. The characterization and plot is based on the Steven Universe characters, with artistic liberties due to the species change.
- Abusive Parents: It's stated that Lapis had abusive parents. Her father was physically abusive while her mother was neglectful.
- Domestic Abuse: Lapis was physically and emotionally abusive towards Jasper. Jasper eventually left the relationship, but she's still scarred by it several years afterwards. Lapis was also in an abusive relationship prior to dating Jasper.
- Multicolored Hair: Lapis has black hair with blue tips.
- Troubled Abuser: Lapis has suffered physical and sexual abuse throughout her life, and in turn physically and mentally abused Jasper.