- Freedom's every sentient's right
I'll guard them all with my Will's light.
Let evil's followers know doubt;
Green Lantern Corps, transform and roll out!Optimus Prime, The Green Lantern Oath.
Following the destruction of Cybertron, Optimus is left alone to drift in space aimlessly, until he is found by the Guardians of the Universe. They make use of his advanced technology to create a new weapon that will maintain order in the Universe: The Manhunters. When their creations turn against them, they recruit the Last Prime to put a stop to them. In order to do so, he must become the first to wield the Green Light of Will; The first Lantern.
The story is complete as of April 4, 2014.
Lantern Prime provides examples of:
- The Ace: Optimus is the first and greatest of the Green Lantern Corps. He's the best of the best and sets the standards for the rest.
- Adaptational Badass:
- While Optimus was never not badass, being the first Green Lantern takes his badassery Up to 11.
- Arcee becomes the first Blue Lantern and briefly the host for Primus.
- Adaptation Origin Connection:
- Larfreeze is responsible for providing Megatron with the means to wipe out all life on Cybertron.
- Optimus is found by the Guardians of the Universe and becomes the first Green Lantern, starting the Green Lantern Corps.
- Optimus's bio-circuitry is reverse engineered by the Guardians to create the Manhunter project.
- Unicron is revealed to be the Avatar of Rage and the host for the Avatar of Avarice.
- It is later revealed that Primus is the Avatar for the Light of Hope rather than Adara.
- Always Second Best: Abin Sur views himself as inferior to many of his colleagues. Kilowog is just as fast as him, but smarter and tougher, while Optimus is The Ace of the entire Lantern Corps. Not to mention that both have far more fallback options in the event their rings fail them. As such, Abin tries to find advantages so that he doesn't fall behind.
- Badass Creed: It's Green Lantern, so this much is obvious. The actual creed is however replaced with the above one when Optimus becomes the first Lantern.
- Cain and Abel: Unicron and Primus respectively. Unicron despises all life beyond himself and seeks to kill his sister, while Primus cherishes all life and tries to convince her brother to change his ways.
- Death by Origin Story:
- Part of Optimus's beginnings as a Lantern is the destruction of his entire home planet and all its inhabitants.
- Like the comics, Abin Sur dies at the end, leading to Hal Jordan becoming the Green Lantern of Sector 2814.
- Demoted to Extra: Hal Jordan doesn't have any significance in the story. Justified by this story taking place before he's recruited to be a Green Lantern. He only shows up in the epilogue after Abin Sur was killed in the battle against Unicron.
- The Dreaded:
- Optimus is not only the first Lantern, he's also the most feared by evil. This also plays into some of his interactions with members of the Corps, as his size, experience, and rank all tend to intimidate new recruits.
- It doesn't take long for Megatron/Galvatron/Parallax to establish himself as this. He is the embodiment of fear after all.
- Once Optimus recognizes Unicron, he has an immediate Oh, Crap! moment and orders his teammates to retreat.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Unicron completely decimated Kilowog's home planet.
- Gender Flip: Primus is male in all Transformers media and toy-lines. Here, Primus is female.
- Genius Loci:
- Mogo, due to being a living planet and all.
- Also applies to Unicron, thanks to being having his consciousness warp the moon he was trapped on into a massive vessel.
- Godzilla Threshold: The threat Unicron poses as Avatar of Rage, coupled with him being the host for the Avatar of Avarice, is so immense that the Guardians see fit to release Ion, the Avatar of Will, to even the odds.
- He's Back: Subverted. At first, it seems Megatron and the Decepticons are back, but it's then revealed in the first encounter that they've been dead for a long time. In actuality, it's Parallax using Megatron's body as a vessel.
- I Call It "Vera": Literally in the case of Optimus's rifle, actually. It's also a justified case for Optimus since VERA is an acronym for Variable Energy Release Armament.
- Knight Templar: The Manhunter's malfunction made them this. It doesn't matter why you committed the crime, any and all crime is punishable by death in their eyes.
- Last of His Kind: Optimus became the last living Cybertronian after the destruction of Cybertron. It's later revealed that Megatron survived, except that his body is actually being used as a vessel for Parallax and that the spark is long dead. Abin Sur was able to find a final Cybertronian Protoform: Arcee.
- Locked Out of the Loop: The Guardians of the Universe tried to keep the existence of the Avatars of Emotion secret from the Lantern Corps, but Unicron's appearance forced them to reveal the truth. By the end of the story, it's common knowledge among the Lanterns.
- Meat Puppet: Megatron becomes a robotic example of this. His spark died during the destruction of Cybertron, but his body is used by Parallax when the embodiment of fear starts targeting Lanterns.
- My Greatest Failure: Abin Sur's predecessor never forgave himself for his failure to save the Kryptonians, and retired soon after this.
- Nothing Is the Same Anymore: After the existence of the Embodiments of emotion are revealed to the universe and the destruction Unicron caused, the Green and Blue Lantern Corps are unified, with one Blue Lantern working with one Green Lantern per sector.
- Related in the Adaptation: Because Primus and Unicron are the Avatars of Hope and Rage respectively, they are family to the other embodiments of emotion as well.
- Sacrificial Lamb: B'Shi was a polite, kind-hearted Lantern with few enemies and many friends. She's killed off gruesomely to show that Megatron/Galvatron has returned.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In the final battle with Unicron, Ophidian separates itself from the Chaos Bringer and vanishes to parts unknown.
- Super Empowering: When Optimus became the host of Ion, he gained enough power to match Unicron in battle.
- The Blue Lantern Arcee, who was the host of Primus, amplified herself and all other Green Lanterns in the battle.
- Time Abyss: The Guardians of the Universe are all several billion years old. Optimus and Mogo are also the oldest of the Lanterns. In Optimus's case, he's been an active Lantern for over 250,000 years and has been online for even longer than that.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Primus is the living embodiment of hope, and she ends up being this by her nature. When Ion called it foolish to let Unicron go rather than have him monitored by the Guardians, Primus replies that by her nature, she cannot deny anyone hope, even Unicron.
- Workaholic: Abin Sur and Sinestro poke fun at how Optimus seems incapable of relaxing. In all the years he's been a Lantern, he's never taken any vacations or set aside time for himself. The closest he ever gets to doing that is helping console others alongside Mogo.