When Hanzo Shimada, a closeted draconic mutant, betrays his equally mutant brother Genji to the Registration Act 619, he has no idea of what he has just set in motion. Behind a federal law approved for the safety of humans and mutants alike there's a shady organization that leads monstruous experiments on mutants. But, as Hanzo finds out, there's also someone who is willing to fight against its agenda.
The fanfiction alternates between action, romance and introspection, focusing on inner turmoils and the difficult process of making amends for past errors while trying to save your own kind from genocide, sometimes at the same time.
This story contains examples of the following tropes:
- Affably Evil: Dr. Dreschner is unfailingly polite both when thanking his secretary for her help and when explaining Genji that the latter is going to be dissected to fuel the research of a cure for cancer.
- Ate His Gun: Gabe does so to show that he cannot die.
- Draconic Humanoid: Hanzo and Genji's mutation gives them dragonlike wings and scaled spots on their skin.
- Driven to Suicide: Hillridge shoots herself rather than facing justice and public humiliation.
- Karmic Death: Dreschner is killed by one of his past subjects.
- Ominous Mundanity: Registration Act 619 is a rather plain name for the horrors it hides.
- Self-Harm: In the very first paragraphs, Hanzo mutilates his own wings to better hide them under his clothes. Due to their healing and growth rate, he's forced to do it often.
- Slash Fic: The main couples are Hanzo / McCree and Genji / Zenyatta.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: While working together to sustain each other's agenda, Dreschner and Hillridge cannot stand each other.
- Trauma Conga Line: Genji undergoes a hard one in the first chapters. His brother turns him to the army, he's captured and almost dissected in a lab, only to be saved in a rather messy raid, being sedated against his will most of the time.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Sojiro Shimada suffers from pancreatic cancer and dies after Genji's arrest.