Ten years ago, Hanako had an argument with her friends. She cut them out of her life and hasn't seen them since. Lilly and Hisao are now living comfortable adult lives together and are in an on-and-off-again relationship. While out together, the couple come across their former best friend. This brings an opportunity to start over again.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Broad Strokes: Prior to the story, Hisao went through both Lilly's and Hanako's arcs, to a degree. He dates Lilly but he also experienced Hanako's Bad End, where Hanako shuts herself away from everyone and Hisao tries to force her out of her shell.
- Dead Fic: The last update was on Aug 1, 2015. It stopped right after Hisao and Lilly reunite with Hanako.
- Disabled in the Adaptation: Hanako's Ambiguous Disorder is stated to be PTSD. Prior to the story, she had a breakdown due to depression and became catatonic for a while. This resulted in her losing a year off of school.
- I Hate Past Me: As an adult, Hisao doesn't like how he was as a teenager. He finds his past self too wishy-washy and self-absorbed. Losing Hanako gave him a reality check and helped change him for the better.
- Long-Distance Relationship: Hisao and Lilly have one due to Hisao's career path, though neither of them define their relationship as this due to its long-distance nature. Nearly a decade ago, he moved to America to broaden his science education. The two keep in touch mainly through e-mal.
- Polyamory: Rumbling Hearts is a Lilly/Hisao/Hanako story. Hisao and Lilly are already a couple at the start.